Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an '05 Outback 2.5 XT( 5 speed) with the following problem: When the engine is fully warm, Climate Control on ( auto or manual), in stop and go traffic, or looking for a parking space in a crowded lot, a strong burning rubber smell will flood the interior ( recirc does not stop the odor). The odor will cease, if I get back to highway or continuous driving/ or if I simply shut the Climate Control off. Whenever I park the car, I can smell the burning rubber all around the exterior. The car has been checked by my dealer, the odor was duplicated, but they were unable to offer a solution, other than wait and see if it gets worse or improves with time. Mileage is 13000, all other mechanical aspects are excellent, and I use 93 octane gas, live in the Northeast. Please excuse if this issue has been raised on another thread( please direct me to the discussion if so). TIA, hp

this has been kicked around before but seems to be different things all the time,my first guess would be a oil leak getting on the exhaust,or a axle boot slinging grease out onto the exhaust,the last one was a guy ran over a plastic bag and it stuck on the exhaust but this would be easy to find.

I have the same problem With my 05 legacy Gt turbo Sedan. I have no idea what it is either. I have ckd the car from frasme to engine to trans and no leaks. That burning smell is still there though.

Darin

Dealer says no leaks or unusual grease. Realize this is not a sexy problem , but would appreciate any leads on getting it resolved. TIA hp

See if any electrical wire touch the engine or exhaust pipe or any thing hot. The O2 sensor wire is very close to the exhaust. Also check spark plug wires. The common cause of this type is either a oil seal leaking or axle boot spewing grease onto the exhaust.