Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help needed quickly! front crank seal

P1070069.JPGHello all,

I'm trying to replace the front crank seal. Is it supposed to go in flush with the block? The old one wasn't and two new ones won't either. There apprears to be a metal strip in there about 1/2 the circumference that prevents the seal from going in all the way. Is this supposed to be there?

Also is there anyway to remove the a/c condensor with loosing the freon? I've got the radiator out but still limited room.

Thanks!

AFAIK there is a lip that the seal slips over to keep it from coming back out again. Maybe that's the metal strip you're talking about.

I can't really help you with that bearing issue though, not much knowledge on ea82 innards.

Do you still use your A/C? Mine quit, so I ditched the whole thing. Cleaned up the engine bay a bit.

Not sure on much of this car. Got it from someone for $150, great shape aside from the rust. Oil was everywhere under the hood and it still ran so I assumed an oil pump/seal problem. I'll either junk it or try on find another block around here.

Don't know if the A/c works, maybe just remove it altogether.

Yep everything is off the front of the motor. I've tried driving two new crank seals in but neither one in seat to the motor. In fact the old one that came out is worn down on the face from the back of the crank sprocket spinning on it. If it's possbile, it really looks like a main bearing is coming out the front of the block.

I just replaced that seal on mine about a month ago. It goes flush. I'm not sure what would be pusing it back out, I didn't crack the block to see what's behind the seal. Sorry I can't be of more help. Did you try rotating the crank and/or the ring checking to see if that metal ring has a key on it that is keeping it from re-seating onto the crank? it might have a keyed notch that matches up with a certain position on the crank. I'm not completely sure, though, I haven't messed with that part.

Looks like part of an old seal to me. Or a seal that was installed backward, and someone tried to get it out and broke it? I looked very hard, but could not see a case split in the recess. Shouldn't a joint line be above and below crank nose?

Jon

Looks like part of an old seal to me. Or a seal that was installed backward, and someone tried to get it out and broke it? I looked very hard, but could not see a case split in the recess. Shouldn't a joint line be above and below crank nose?

Jon

the edges are too clean to be broken, the ends of this peice are maching flat. I'll try prying on it tomorrow.

looks like your bearing has spun a bit, and come out towards the front of the motor pushing your seal out and preventing your new ones from going in. Wanna try something for fun???

try to tap the bearing back in, gently, as they are brittle when struck on the side. what do you have to loose? a few minutes messing with it and slap the belt on and start 'er up, or R&R the engine?

Looks like I might be getting a 80k EA82 w/ T heads from GrossGary. Would like to swap in a bigger motor, But this is my first Sub, I got it for $150. Just the adapter plate would cost the cost of the car and Gary seems to have a good deal on motor (new gaskets, water pump).

Plus I got an ATX and I think that thing is marginal to start with? What is the most common failure?