Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to change brakes on a 2000 outback?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a website that tells me how to change my brakes? I can't afford to get it done at a shop and want to look into doing it myself. I've googled but didn't have much luck. Any help is appreciated. is it pretty difficult? i just need to do the pads in back and will probably do the front as well.

Thanks!

ahreno,

Doing brake jobs on Outbacks is a relative easy DIYer, if you've not neglected the servicing of the brake system. Standard tools are all that is required, as well as antiseize compound, brake anti squeal compound, silicone grease and brake cleaner spray. If the system (every 3 years) needs flushing with new brake fluid, you'll need a 2 to 3 foot long section of plastic hose that will fit over the bleed screws on the calipers as well. Other than that, just read back through the old threads here on the brake topic, and you'll find everything you'll need. To totally describe what steps are to be done and how, would take up too much space here, but don't be afraid to get back to us with questions. Take your time, do the job safely, and you'll have the satisfaction of having done the job yourself, not to mention having saved some substantial dollars. Good Luck!

You'll want some jack stands from sears or autozone. It will save you a ton of time doing both wheels at once instead of lifting and lowering lifting and lowering. An 8" c-clamp may come in handy for compressing the caliper piston.

And...my standard gem of advice: Get a Haynes Manual, it will pay for itself.

Brakes are easy