Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I can see! Again. (Headlight conversion)

It finally stopped raining long enough here for me to install my H6054/H4 multi-reflector headlamp kit on my XT. Thought night hasn't come yet for the true test of lighting power, I can already tell the new lamps are at LEAST 4 times brighter than the old, just looking at the light reflecting off the side of my house.

Piccies....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9669&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

(Scroll to the left to see the rest of the images)

Will go out in a couple hours and see how much difference it makes at night.

Hey there Geoffrey, nice looking set of lamps. So what kind of bulbs did you put in them?

I can field this one.

The new assemblies replace the stock H6054s with a housing that accepts an H4(9003) bulb so that you don't have to change your connectors on the factory headlight harnesses. Hope this answers your question Mike.

Patrick

I can field this one.

The new assemblies replace the stock H6054s with a housing that accepts an H4(9003) bulb so that you don't have to change your connectors on the factory headlight harnesses. Hope this answers your question Mike.

Yeah, what he said. :)

The particular bulbs aren't anything special, just plain jane H4 bulbs. If they ever burn out, of course, there's the option of Silverstars...

Well I knew what the H4 conversion housings were. I installed similar ones in my Hatchback around the time of WCSS2. So what brand are they, where'd ya' get 'em, and what did they cost?

I've been running 80/100watt bulbs from JCWhitney with no trouble and I never even got around to wiring relays and bigger wires. When I say no trouble, I mean they don't seem to blind folks, no cop trouble, and no melted wires...yet. Amazing improvement over stock. Surprising this isn't one of the more popular mods. Only drawback to these things is I remember selling a set of the smaller H4 housings to Zap and he took them swimming in the deep end of some swamp and got muck inside them. So I guess siliconing the boots on might be a good idea if you're going deep.

Ok, where'd you get them and how much? Glad to know they fit in the XT's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200mm-H6054-H4-HID-EURO-DIAMOND-CRYSTAL-HEADLIGHTS-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ7925020780QQtcZphoto

This is the housing kit (Autopal) and a set of bulbs, though it's advertised with blue bulbs. He'll sell them to you with standard white or high-wattage white also. Mine are the standard white.

It's about $40 shipped, which is still $10 less than a set of Silverstars for the H6054.

I'm just finishing up dinner right now, then I'll go out and check out the practical improvement in lighting.

Edit: OK, just came back from the test drive, and it's a night and day difference (no pun intended). I need to aim the left headlight a lot better (it's aimed too low), but the amount of light the car produces is now on par with the projectors in my Optima. A road that I take home from work that's normally pretty scary is now well-lit with these babies.