Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replaced timing belt, now belt noise at start up.

94 legacy. I installed a new timing belt and water pump the other day. Since then, I've noticed what I'll describe as a belt noise. It sounds like the belt is chattering a little. It is not coming from the drive belts. But this only lasts about 1 minute during the first start of the day. By the time I get to my first stop light away from home the noise is gone and the engine purrs like a kitten. I also have a bit stronger accelleration with the new belt. Engine seems to be running good when the noise is there: smooth rpms, not rough or clunky.

Since the car runs great after that first minute, I am not *too* worried about this noise.

Any ideas?

Keith

I guess I could try tightening the drive belts, the sound just doesn't seem like its coming from them. Worth a try though. I didn't notice the noise when I started the car after the new timing belt was on, but before everthing else was put back. Any other ideas?

Keith

after i replaced my timing belt recently, i had a bit of a squeaking noise coming from the engine that i was pretty sure was timing belt-related. upong opening the hood, i noticed that the power steering pump pulley was deflecting like crazy. turns out i put the sucker on backwards:banghead:. i think i was just assuming i had made a mistake with the timing belt because of my nervousness about the task, which i had never done before. i would recommend looking over everything you've done, even the minor things that are not as difficult, like accessory belts. besides, they're the easiest place to start anyway.