Ultimate Subaru Message Board

duty c solenoid / awd clutch pack

a few pics of the at clutch pack, duty c sol and the crud in the valve seat.

as you have already figured out:

duty c off (retracted, no electricty) = 4wd locked

duty c always on (extended, constant elec.) = fwd only

duty c controled by tcu (variable on/off) = awd as needed

when the duty c fails or the valve seat gets crud in it restricting the flow, you have torque bind.

post-14910-136027605745_thumb.jpg

post-14910-136027605754_thumb.jpg

post-14910-136027605762_thumb.jpg

post-14910-136027605771_thumb.jpg

post-14910-136027605781_thumb.jpg

nice picks indeed, doesn't look hard at all? much easier than i thought. is there a new gasket that goes between the rear extension housing and the trans case when you reassemble?

there is a gasket betwen the trans and the this cover. my guy at the trans shop suggested that a silicone gasket would do the job. he charged 3.5 hours to install my used clutch pack, new gasket and 2 qts. fluid, all for $280. this sound like more time than described by someone here previously, but what the hell, the dealer wanted $1000. some one has described the r&r in a thread earlier, can't remember who. he said you could lower the trans slghtly, let it angle down, and do the job with out pulling the trans.

in hind sight i should have priced and used a new solenoid. i don't know what they cost, but for 280 in labor it would be a good investment. i have limited experience, but it seems to me that the clutch it self is pretty tufff. but the valve seat and sol are the weak points. i'll be pissed if the used one fails in the next 100k miles. the one in my 95 2.2L went 167K mi. before reverse failed.

john