Ultimate Subaru Message Board

for those with EJ conversions........

ballitch

today i took the power steering rack out of a parts car( with hardlines), and swapped into my manual steering 86' with the EJ22 in it. one thing EVERYONE should know is that the EJ type power steering pumps will BOLT UP DIRECTLY to the older EA style power steering hardlines. only a little bending is required. for those with power steering stock, you dont have to worry aobut trying to keep your power steering IF you do the EJ conversion to your car. just thought this info should be out there. just remember to grab the right power steering pump bracket, so you dont have to go BACK to the junkyard 10 miles away to get it.

~Josh~

Don't know about the ea82 rack, but to use the ea81 power steering rack I've seen success welding the hardlines together(didn't think that would work), and using the lines out of an ea81 turbo should work, that pump has outputs just like the ea82, not the funky long pump that came on the ea81 n/a blocks, you need to add about 13" to those lines.

i used an early legacy PS pump (1990-1994 i believe) with the EA rack and EA hardlines. all i had to do was bend and twist a tiny bit to get them to line up correctly. also, if you have a charcoal canister, ditch it, it will be in the way. the newer legacy and impreza pumps have a bigger bolt pattern on the PS bracket. if you know how to flare the PS hardlines, i would do it. there is enough flexibility in the hoses that you can twist it just right, but you have to bend the hardlines a little closer to make it fit really good. and make sure it wont rub on anything.