Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine stand worries?

I was going to put my new engine on an engine stand so that I could start putting the accesories on from the old motor. A guy I was talking to said that it would be a bad idea to put an assembled aluminun block engin on a stand. He said that the aluminum isn't strong enough and I would end up cracking the bellhousing.

This sounds like a serious load of garbage, but having just dropped a little over a grand on this I just wanted a few opinions.

I've done it several times now without any problems. The longblock weight is around 250 lbs (110kg), so you really aren't stressing anything. It makes it so much easier to do the transferring pf parts. If you have any worries about your engine stand, use a bench with some wooden blocks under the oil pan until you are comfortable with the engine stand.

I was going to put my new engine on an engine stand so that I could start putting the accesories on from the old motor. A guy I was talking to said that it would be a bad idea to put an assembled aluminun block engin on a stand. He said that the aluminum isn't strong enough and I would end up cracking the bellhousing.

This sounds like a serious load of garbage, but having just dropped a little over a grand on this I just wanted a few opinions.

Just tell him it's Japanese aluminum and metric bolts, and that it'll hold just fine.:rolleyes:

I've used my engine stand with 2 bolts (the top of the bell housing) and nuts on them... just finger tight.... then I slide the 2 studs on the bottom of the engine into the bottom of the 2 holes... I dont bother with nuts on those because the studs are too short to put a nut on with the current mounts on my stand.

Ive had EA82's and 81's on there with no, some or all of their accessories and never had a problem yet.

I HAVE on the other hand cracked a bell housing on an EA81 trying to use a breaker bar to keep the flywheel from turning so we could change the front main seal. We gave up and left it after it cracked... the seal wasnt leaking anyway. :rolleyes: