Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got a '90 Legacy.... same car as on my other post about the starting issue.... Here's another, but I think unrelated problem... When the fuel tank is low... like below a quarter or eight of a tank, it will loose power, especially when going up hill.... acts like it's about to die. If I pump the gas a few quick times, it will catch an run again without completely dying. The problem goes away when I fill the tank and only happens when low. Is this a weak fuel pump? If so, how hard is it to change? I just realized that I forgot to put it on the list for the mechanic.......

Thanks,

Mike

My understanding is that fuel pumps tend to die suddenly rather than weaken slowly. But, this may not always be the case. It would sounds to me that whatever the pump uses to draw gas from the tank is higher than it ought to be, and therefore not getting gas when the tank is low/tilted. Maybe unfasten the fuel pump connectors and pull it out and inspect it for damage/wear.

Yup - much easier with the wagon than the sedan (no seat removal). Lift the carpet and foam, and look at the right hand side near the seat. You'll see a metal plate screwed down. Remove the plate, disconnect the connectors, and the fuel pump should be able to be unscrewed and lifted out. I believe that's all there is too it, someone correct me if I'm off please.

Do I get at it through the floor in the back of the wagon?

That sounds right, I done mine a few years back in the 97 wagon it was very easy. Be sure and take the cable off of the battery first, you dont want to make any sparks while you are back their.

Yup - much easier with the wagon than the sedan (no seat removal). Lift the carpet and foam, and look at the right hand side near the seat. You'll see a metal plate screwed down. Remove the plate, disconnect the connectors, and the fuel pump should be able to be unscrewed and lifted out. I believe that's all there is too it, someone correct me if I'm off please.

Assuming this is an AWD car. You might want to check the jet pump, which is with the fuel pump to see if it is blocked .The purpose of the Jet pump is to transfer fuel from the left side of the tank to the right side of the tank, especially when the tank is low

SEA#3

• 3 years later...

I have a similar thread i just posted and i was lookin through the ones relating to my own. the last post i just read mentioned the jet for AWD vehicles. mines two wheel, would mine not have it? if you read my thread you'll understand why i'm asking.

Since the FWD doesn't have a driveshaft going to the rear, its fuel tank doesn't have compartments to each side that would require the jet pump to transfer fuel from one to the other.

Edited by OB99W