Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help with 79 brat

My bracket that holds my pedals together broke in half yesterday coming home from work need to find another but only came in brats and in just a few years 77-79 yeah called subaru and they are obselete plase help me if anyone has any suggestions great or ill have to fabricate one with $$$$$$ I dont have...

The dealer might say the part's obsolete. However, if you have the part number, you give the counter person the part number and he/she might be able to get it for you from your distribution center. It might even be on the shelf in back. I've learned "obsolete" means "I don't have a parts list for it and I'm NOT going to go the extra mile to find one for you."

My bracket that holds my pedals together broke in half yesterday coming home from work need to find another but only came in brats and in just a few years 77-79 yeah called subaru and they are obselete plase help me if anyone has any suggestions great or ill have to fabricate one with $$$$$$ I dont have...

Damn, I just sold one of these on eBay! (Well, the relisted one sold.) I had grabbed some spares for my fleet, after I found that they can suffer metal fatigue on the clutch side and eventually collapse.

The 77-81 BRAT and the 75-79 cars are all the same. The automatics are similar, but lack the reinforcement for the clutch. There are quite a few being parted out now on the board, I'm sure you can find one.

You can have them welded too.

How many miles on your BRAT?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8022808550&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT

Todd

I might add that a BIG contributing piece to these failing, is a worn clutch cable. The more worn the cable, the more pressure it takes to depress and that force gets applied to the mount. That's how the stress fractures start that can lead to collapse. Either service/lube the clutch cable or replace at regular intervals, or when you notice increased difficulty to depress. However, often the increased pressure comes on so gradually, you don't recognize it. I would therefore recomend servicing the cable yearly.

Since Todd has gotten onto the topic of the clutch cable, you might want to replace it when you pull out the old pedal frame since it makes life a lot easier to replce it then instead of waiting after you get it in to replace it. Also, check to see how the throttle cable is doing as well and you might want to spray some lubricant down it to keep it nice a free. You might want to check the pin that holds the brake booster rod to the brake pedal for wear and fatigue.

• 2 weeks later...

The bracket cracks then breaks under the bracket that holds the cable I bolted a metal bar to my bracket until I find a bracket works for now but I would like another bracket also I learned that my cables last longer with penatration oil in the line it really does work pretty nicely .......

Kind if funny but, I just looked at my bracket yesterday. It was broke in 3 places! I am surprised as bad as it was that it did not collaspe. I took it out and welded up the breaks and I welded in another piece of steel on the outside to add strength to it. Nice and solid now. I never thought to look at it before and I have never taken the pedals out of any of the 4 Brats I parted. I guess that is one of those things I had better grab next time I part one out.

• 1 month later...