Ultimate Subaru Message Board

found a loyale for sale

i found a loyale for sale for 300$ i don't know what year it is but its just like this car it's even black the guy you had parked it because he got a jeep and it was running when he parked it he dosn't know if it will run but it 4wd maunal tranny

paint is peeling is it a good deal????? for a daily beater

if i get it iam going to spray paint orange and put 01 on the door and put my dukes of hazzard horn in it

90810081990607LRG.jpg

You neglected to indicate how extensive the rust is - if there are rust holes in the rocker panels, and around the strut towers, I would avoid it period - it may not be safe to drive

paint peeling alone doesn't mean anything, other than it needs a paint job

The car in the picture is the RARE RX edition of the "Loyale" bodystyle (RX was made from 1985-1989) - if it IS an RX, I am sure some of the members of the board would be interested in it for restoration, because it has rare features not found on the other "Loyale" series cars - I am sure they would trade you/sell you a reasonable car at a fair price - the RX is also turbocharged, though some of the other cars were too - an RX is actually worth a fair amount of $$ too, I have seen pristine ones go on ebay for over 5k

even if it isn't an RX, it is still a very good, reliable car, with excellent traction capeabilities - actually the non-turbocharged models are more reliable, and probably better suited to daily driving - the car is fuel injection whatever model it is

All-in-all, they are great cars, especially if you know how to service them mechanically - they are built to much tighter specs than any American car, and have simpler service requirements - if you do get it, I would find out when the timing belts were last done, and if it was more than 60k ago, I would do them - and probably the water pump as well - check the coolant hoses - just general "old-car" stuff, and you'll be good-to-go - it is a do-it-yourselfer's dream when it comes to ease of service, so don't be afraid to do all the servicing yourself

Good Luck

it just like the photo its got that spoiler and like same ground effects

what are the transmission controls like? if it has a pushbutton, it is a Loyale with a bodykit - if it has dual-range full-time 4WD it is an RX (it would have a lever to select range, and a switch to lock the center differential) the RX was the only car to get that tranny from the factory - it should also have a turbo under the hood

if you want to be really shure...

check the body for evidence of the "RX" decals on the bottom of the sides, and check the actual manufacturing date on the driver's side B-pillar (near the door latch) will probably be late 88 or early 89 - also check under the hood for the vehicle emissions datasticker - it should give you an idea of the model year - it may not be a "Loyale" - Loyales are MY 1990 and later

if it has little/no rust and is a RX - GRAB IT - and KEEP IT BLACK!! - you can do whatever you want with the horn

Wasn't there an "RS" version that was basically the GL/Loyale but with a body kit? As said above, check on cancer rust. I'm sure you know about salt use in our home state. See if it has a current PA inspection sticker. I know a lot of people (myself included) that have traded or sold off cars rather than pay to fix it for the annual PA inspection.

i havent looked at it up close but the guy said it was push button 4wd on the shifter so its not RX right?

If it has the front skirt and rear wing, and is push button 4WD, it's a Loyale RS. They were available both with and without turbo. Neither has any special equipment, but the turbo version, just like any turbo Soob, can be quite fun...

As long as the body isn't rotted to hell, always a good deal for $300. And if it is a turbo, even if the body is rotted out, a solid turbo engine is worth $300.