Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 2.5XT wagon thoughts?

Just looking for info and thoughts on 2005 XT wagon. It's a possiblility and certainly fun to drive. Any comments on the turbo engine? TIA

Love the performance, hate the fuel costs. But hey, I knew that going in.

During the summer/fall months, I use mine to tow a small Casita travel trailer (2200 lbs), canoe on the roof, and loaded gear. Does very well. The turbo gets the whole mass up to speed in short order when entering the on-ramps.

Oil changes are pretty easy, though not as easy as on the earlier legacy's with the standard 2.5 - plastic cowl on the underside and the oil plug is further back on the pan. Spark plugs will be a pain to change as each has a I-coil on top of them - may let a independant do those when the time comes (100 - 120mi). Other than that, it's performed flawlessly so far and plan to keep the car for many years - as I've done with my 96'

I bought a 3.0R (H6). The turbo is quick but the hood scope is a little too "Boy Racer" for me and I wanted better MPG. The dealer told me an average of 20mpg, which I thought was low, but AutoWeek reported an average of something like 20.3 on their long-term test car. Turbo is a better choice at high elevations, though, I'd guess.

The 3.0R is smooth, quick on the highway, and works perfectly with the 5spd auto. Downshifts are unobtrusive. I paid $26K with a couple options.

Only outward difference on the 3.0R is the lights in the turn signals; five spoke alloys; and a 3.0R badge (which I removed). Has the aluminum hood. I bought a set of BBS RK's for the summer tires.

SUB.jpg

I would have strongly considered the H6 model but at the time, summer of 2004, the H6 was only available in the leather, more upscale options, which I didn't want. And the price drove it past the $30K point. Apparently, the prices on the H6 packages have come down. Turbo models as well?

That's about the same mileage I get around town. If I baby her and stay around 60mph, I can get 24/25mpg on long trips - but you have to resist the temptation and keep that turbo from spooling up for quick accelerations.

I don't know about the turbo in high elevations argument, I've read comments both ways. Is this the definitive truth on how turbo's perform over normal aspirated engines at high altitude?

http://www.turbodriven.com/en/turbofacts/advantages.asp

BTW, the Bridgestone Potenzas that came on the car suck - IMO. Ok summer, below average winter. But they wear too rapidly and unevenly. Changed them out at 25K and now have Yokos H4S on. Jury is still out on these as well but so far they seem to perform well.

33k miles so far...

In 2005 the H6 was only available in the LL Bean or VDC models. They both have sunroofs so there wasn't enough headroom for me. I discovered the reintroduction of the H6 for 2006, but they're still rare: there were only two in New England for sale when I bought mine. Same cloth interior as the 2.5i but has: 3.0L H6 cylinder engine, 250hp with Active valve control (premium fuel recommended, I don't use it); 5spd SportShift automatic transmission; Upgraded VTD all wheel drive system; Tire Pressure monitoring sytem TPMS; 6disc CD changer; Dual zone front climate control ; Body colored mirrors with turn signals; Rear seat armrest

MSRP is $28,995.

I bought my Forester 2.5XT in June of 04 and I already have 60k miles on it. Aside from tires, brakes, and those other maintenence items, I haven't had a single thing go wrong. Nadda.

The car runs as strong as it ever has, I prototyped for the K&N intake and it opened it up quite a bit... made it sound waaaay cool too. I've had the car on a couple rally tracks and it keeps up with some of the big guys. You will NOT be disappointed with the 2.5 turbo.

-Ken