Ultimate Subaru Message Board

whats needed to make it run? ea71 electrical

so troys wagon has some major wiring problems- someone tried to splice in some weird stuff, and in the process of hotwiring the car too this person ruined all of the ignition wires.... so the car right now has a new fuel pump, and an ea71 with what looks like the standard ignition coil (my wagon has some box on top of the coil, and it says "transistor ignition" and Troy's wagon does not have that...

anyways, we can get the car started for a short period of time, but then when we turn the key to the off position, the car stays running, or even if I unplug the ignition switch, it still stays ruinning!

so what I want to do is wire in my own wires and switches to the ignition coil, and the fuel pump.

what I am unsure about, is how the coil needs to plugged in to work, cause it looks like it is not just a power supply lead to the coil- does anyone have a schematic on how to hook this up??

thanks!

Austin, what year is it? Does it have the tach dash? I have that harness. I have the book also for my Brat's. I can shoot you pics. or whatever you need. Sounds like it is a 78 or 79 or earlier, I believe, with Brats anyway, they went to the black box in '80. I have a '78 that is working and has the funky resistor on the top of the coil. Mail me, Bradd

• 1 year later...

When I had the same problem of the engine running with igntion, even battery off it turned out to be the voltage regulator which is screwed to the fender beside the coil on my 78 Brat. the fuel pump is also run through the v. regulator, at 5 volts. so if you put an aftermarket fuel pump in and are running it off the 5 volt source it won't work right. run the fuel pump off a keyed source.

so troys wagon has some major wiring problems- someone tried to splice in some weird stuff, and in the process of hotwiring the car too this person ruined all of the ignition wires.... so the car right now has a new fuel pump, and an ea71 with what looks like the standard ignition coil (my wagon has some box on top of the coil, and it says "transistor ignition" and Troy's wagon does not have that...

anyways, we can get the car started for a short period of time, but then when we turn the key to the off position, the car stays running, or even if I unplug the ignition switch, it still stays ruinning!

so what I want to do is wire in my own wires and switches to the ignition coil, and the fuel pump.

what I am unsure about, is how the coil needs to plugged in to work, cause it looks like it is not just a power supply lead to the coil- does anyone have a schematic on how to hook this up??

thanks!