Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cometic discussion, thickness

WJM

The Multi Layer Metal gaskets are offered in .027 to .120 thicknesses.

EJ engines are using 3 different thicknesses of gaskets. STi has one WAY thin (i think at .027, but it looks thinner than that), the EJ251/253's are using .027, the EJ25D's are using .045 or so. The EJ20's are at .040 or so...

The EA82 is at...what? .047? Closest Cometic offers is .045. That would pass as a 'stock' gasket. Or, use the .051....

OR...should we use the .027?

Heres the Q i want to know...does thickness affect the durability of the gasket?

I've installed all 3 thicknesses in WRX EJ257 swaps, none have failed...each one made similar power on similar turbos....even the 600+ hp STi I built was on the stock thin STi gaskets.

Tomorrow I am going to fax in a custom work order form for the EA82 and get pricing for gaskets. I am about to go serious reliable power on a stock block, and I need a headgasket that isnt going to blow randomly. So far *knock on wood* the stockers have not failed me since I stopped doing stupid stuff to the engines and payed attention to oil/coolant/tuning...but I'm sure that the second I get over 200 to the wheels, its going to blow.

What thickness do we want to run? I am open to any of them in this range: .027, .030, .036, .040, .051. Thats the lower range of the thicknesses avalible.

They also offer .060, .071, .074 and .120.

Will... I think the stock gaskets are .030" I believe thats how thick my Copper's were.

I would stick as close to the factory specs as possible, thickness wise.

Let me know prices, I may be in. Although I might not be in the EA82T game for much longer, I still have an NA EA82 that needs to be pimp'd to the hilt.

I finally got honest answers from Cometic...

while I still still send the form in....just from talking on the phone with someone who ACTUALLY gave me the time of day and was honest...

$6,000~$12,000 for the tooling, and a min. order of approx 100 gaskets in order for them to produce them.

We haven't had any problems with headgastket thickness on the 420A and Neon DOHC/SOHC motors. Though not a subaru, as long as the block and head are flat and have the appropriate finish, headgaskets are fine from double MLS gaskets (lower compression), to removing the middle layer for a super thin gasket (higher compression), there has not been a durability issue. This was on all out N/A and turbo'd motors.

(Save for the comments from everyone on the "blown Neon headgasket" issue that was purely a quality problem with the early headgaskets alone)

I finally got honest answers from Cometic...

while I still still send the form in....just from talking on the phone with someone who ACTUALLY gave me the time of day and was honest...

$6,000~$12,000 for the tooling, and a min. order of approx 100 gaskets in order for them to produce them.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Wow.... just wow...... I'd be all over a set but at that kind of price, I think I feel my wallet burning

wow at that price might as well O-ring the block! it would be way cheaper and hold better IMO

thats my plan. besides, i thought that the gaskets were cut by a laser using computer inputs. i read somewhere that someone had come up with the cad designs for the gaskets and then had em made in copper or steel for about $75 a set. eh, i dont know, thats why im going to o-ring the block.

i can tell you from when i did research during the summer for the EA...

after talking to a number of places...most of them suggested o-ringing as a cost effective alternative. I was looking at about 200 CDN to do it...which is not gross.

they also really suggested that they had both the block and the heads...so they could be resurfaced. And suggested that with perfectly flat and true mating surfaces you would be fine.

Looks like really the only options are the Coppers, or the Stockers. The coppers you can order from Flat-out group....the rubber coated ones look like they might just work nicely.

Personally...i think alot of the problem has to do with the way that the coolant passages are routed in the EA heads. You have hot hot coolant from the turbo dumping right into the head...

We have put some thought to rerouting the coolant lines (like t-ing the heater hoses, which would have the benefit of super hot heat in the winter).

Good Luck.

If you do find a decent alternative..let me know...i have a friend who still wants to build the tits off a EA motor....since he keeps blowing them on the street (went through 2 in like a month)

Personally...i think alot of the problem has to do with the way that the coolant passages are routed in the EA heads. You have hot hot coolant from the turbo dumping right into the head...

We have put some thought to rerouting the coolant lines (like t-ing the heater hoses, which would have the benefit of super hot heat in the winter).

When the water cooled turbo was retrofitted to the ea81t, the coolant return was connected to the thermostat housing, where the temp sensor for the dash gauge went (using a banjo fitting) - that might be an option?