Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help!!! I can't CRUISE. Part Throttle Problems SPFI...

Guest oobnuker

Guest oobnuker

OK - My car seems to be running great in all respects, except for the simple fact that I can't seem to hold a cruising speed very well. If I am just trying to cruise along in traffic or whatever at like 35 MPH, the car "sputters" or burps or something. It bucks even. Ease into or mash the gas pedal and it's fine. WOT is great - the car zooms right along.

Any ideas of what this could be? This is a '90 Loyale SPFI motor. New Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, timing belts, just set the timing, air filter, fuel filter, PCV system, thermostat, radiator...the list goes on and on.

Anybody? Thanks!

Guest oobnuker

The existing O2 sensor was only about 1.5 years old, but maybe the various states of tune the car has been in over that time frame caused its life to be shortened...

I got a new one for $17.00 (Universal Replacement type) and we'll see what happens.

You think that exhaust system (Stock Y-Pipe, 2" straight through after the cat, no muffler - about 4' long total, side exit before the rear wheel) could cause the O2 sensor to weat out quicker? I heard that a straight through exhaust could cause exhaust valves to wear or burn, I'm just wondering if other things might suffer as well...

I'll let you know how the sensor replacement goes and if it solves the problem - I hope so!

Guest oobnuker

You know what it was? EGR Solenoid. Luckily I had a complete EA82 motor sitting in my garage (Thanks Paul!!!), and I snagged it off of there. I checked the resistance across the two terminals on the one on my engine and the one off the spare...The installed (bad) one had infinite resistance ( no continuity ), and the spare had something (can't remember what) - so I took the discrepancy to indicate that the one that the ECU was telling me was bad, WAS bad, and the spare was not. Popped it in and voila!

<strong>Everybody gather around and celebrate - this is the first time in 2 years and 26,000 miles since I've had the car that the check engine light is not illuminated! WooHoo!:cool: :cool: :lol::eek:;) </strong>

Thanks for the help!