Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A q for those with ea81ts with water cooled turbo....

Ross

Just trying to work out why a modification has been made to the lines between the thermostat housing, the heater core and the throttle body.

The coolant line coming out of the left side of the throttle body normally tee's into the metal line coming from the thermostat housing - on mine this tee has been removed, and the line tees into the hose further down the line, near where the temperature sensor (for dash gauge) is (moved from the thermostat housing when water cooled turbo added) - ie near the heater control valve.

I'm wondering whether this has been done to ensure the dash temp gauge reads properly (or some other random reason), or simply because the tee on the metal line broke off, and someone was too lazy to re-braze it....

im guessing that someone got lazy..... if it works properly why worry.

Na, im putting together the engine that i've reconditioned, and am tossing up between using two intake manifolds - the one that was on there, or one that i bought off a car without the water cooled turbo. Thats why i want to know why this was done- if it was just laziness, ill use the good manifold with the lines the way they were from factory.

I seem to be having trouble explaining myself........ill try again.

I've just reconditioned my ea81t, and its almost ready to go in. It had the vf2 water cooled turbo retrofit done, and the odd plumbing as described below, which may or may not be for a reason.

I also have a spare intake manifold off another ea81t that didn't have the water cooled turbo, and didn't have the wierd plumbing. Its easy enough to add the turbo cooling line onto the thermostat housing of this manifold - no problem there.

I would rather use the above mentioned spare manifold, since it is already nice and clean, and the coolant fittings are in much better condition.

I just want to know if other cars that had the water cooled turbo retrofitted also have this odd plumbing as well.

If they do, that would indicate that it was necessary due to the dash gauge temp sensor being moved. If that was the case, i'd have to modify my spare manifold to accept this setup.

If they don't, it would indicate that it was simply someone being lazy, and i could leave things as they were from factory (my preferred option).

I'm not saying anythings "broke", i just want to know whats going on.

What would be perfect, is if i could find a copy of the service bulletin.....

Thanks guys.

I think there is 2 sensors for temp. One is for the ECU and the other is for the gauge. On the EA81T Coupe I had there was a tee in the heater hose for the gauge sensor, the one on the therm housing was for the ECU. I'm pretty sure this was part of the Dealer setup.

I think there is 2 sensors for temp. One is for the ECU and the other is for the gauge. On the EA81T Coupe I had there was a tee in the heater hose for the gauge sensor, the one on the therm housing was for the ECU. I'm pretty sure this was part of the Dealer setup.

From what i can see on my two different manifolds, the gauge sensor was originally on the thermostat housing, about 50mm above the sensor for the ecu. this hole in the housing was then used for the coolant return for the turbo, so the gauge sensor was moved to the heater hose.

I found this web site for Subaru recalls and technical service bulletins. They charge to use it and I havent done it as of yet.. but I too need help with my turbocharger..its in the car but has extra lines were not sure where they go. Here is the address.. and maybe it will help you...

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/55/84555202.html

I seem to be having trouble explaining myself........ill try again.

I've just reconditioned my ea81t, and its almost ready to go in. It had the vf2 water cooled turbo retrofit done, and the odd plumbing as described below, which may or may not be for a reason.

I also have a spare intake manifold off another ea81t that didn't have the water cooled turbo, and didn't have the wierd plumbing. Its easy enough to add the turbo cooling line onto the thermostat housing of this manifold - no problem there.

I would rather use the above mentioned spare manifold, since it is already nice and clean, and the coolant fittings are in much better condition.

I just want to know if other cars that had the water cooled turbo retrofitted also have this odd plumbing as well.

If they do, that would indicate that it was necessary due to the dash gauge temp sensor being moved. If that was the case, i'd have to modify my spare manifold to accept this setup.

If they don't, it would indicate that it was simply someone being lazy, and i could leave things as they were from factory (my preferred option).

I'm not saying anythings "broke", i just want to know whats going on.

What would be perfect, is if i could find a copy of the service bulletin.....

Thanks guys.