Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 weber conversion

lukr

Sorry if this queston has already been asked but i am new to the board. I swaped a junkyard weber dgav onto my 81 brat with the redline adapter after i had rebuilt it. My car runs better than it has ever ran before but i am only getting about 10 miles to the gallon. Does anyone know what are the proper jet, emulsion tube, and venturi sizes are?

Try these:

............................Primary.......Secondary

Fuel......................140.............140

Idle........................60..............55

Air Correction.........165.............160

These are certainly in the ballpark. Emulsion tubes are probably OK. What jets do you have now, and what kind of car did the carb come off of?

Tom

Hi Paul,

No it's not sold yet, thanx 4 axing. Thought I had a nibble but am getting no reply to my voicemail messages. Oh well.... But the financial need is no longer there. Looking forward to playing with it in the snow down here; hope it snows A LOT, like a huge one (22"!!!) we had last year, over the President's Day holiday. I was stuck on duty (security guard) for 38 HOURS! Mega paycheck for that week, almost $1000 after taxes.

Tom

gotta luv those post interlopers -j/k, j/k boyz

Lukr, another thing that could be causing the low MPG is the fuel pressure you are feeding it could be too high and is causing it to "dump" (pass fuel past the float needle valve and seat)

Might want to pull a plug or two and have a look.

How did you handle the return line to the tank?

Have you considered a FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator)

Hope Tom will share what his final setting was.

Thanks for pointing out the FPR, Skip. I must be getting senile, didn't enter the thought pattern.

I have a Spectre FPR p/n 2517 from Auto Zone $20.00. Adjustable from 1.5 to 3.5 Lbs. I have it set on the 4.5 notch right now. 11 settings, from .5 to 5.5, but not reflective of actual pressure. Seems to be what she likes.

Did a 60+ mile trip last night, ran good, and I didn't use as much gas as I had on previous trips with the Hitachi on. I still need to find some open stretch of road so as to do a proper plug cut run. Then I'll know if I have the gas flow set right.

Query;

Why is it, that when you breakdown, it seems like you're the only one on the road. But if you want a clear section of road to do some testing, everybody and their brother is on the road?.......

Luke... its mike with the silver 87 wagon at the rallycross.... got an extra weber you want to sell to me for my 82 BRAT?? I already have the adapter and I am going to have it rebuilt... I am looking for a 32/36 with electric choke.

Hmmmm it wont let me PM you for some reason...

So please e-mail me at the_great_mikeholio@yahoo.com :D

thanks for the input guys. my fuel and idle jets were spot on but the air correction jets were way off. i have a 116 and a 110 in there now but am changing them very soon. i dont have a return line or a regulator yet. i dident think that i needed them when i did the swap. how would you hookup a return line and would it make that much of a differance? o yeah the carb came off of an opel.

Use your old Hitachi fuel inlet on the Weber. May have to tap it, but it is standard pipe thread. Yes, I would say it is neccessary. It allows excess fuel out of the system instead of overflowing the float. The regulator is helpful as well. I run mine on the Brat at 3.5-4.5 depending on what I'm doing. But... I don't have one on the Hatch. It does have the return line set up though.