Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t 4wd coupe; how rare?

It still astounds me that someone made a used 4-speed fwd stripped vinyl-seats DL...into a convertible.

when you say a "used" 4 spd dl, do you mean that the conversion was done after the car was bought new, like the owner sent it to the coach builder?

it does seem wierd to have the stripped down dl made into a convertible, but I have seen chevy cavaliers with cloth seats and hubcaps and crappy radios that were convertibles. I think they were rental cars. Who knows.

From what I was able to get out of the previous owner, it was a leased car in a fleet that was returned, and then the dealer had it converted by the coachbuilder that did the conversions after it had been returned to SoA and auctioned.

As for the Cavaliers, they were from the factory--GM has this lovely habit of churning out mountains of garbage at every turn, so can't put much stock in that. But all other Subie convertibles I've seen have been at least GLs or GLFs. (Couple of GL-10s and Turbo Tractions, too.)

Hey Tubone...I still have these pics saved on my puter from when I was looking for a coupe and you so ever kindly sent me past pics of these children.

I Still love these coupes....miss mine :( :( but she couldnt be in better hands than with moosens. And cant wait till Tommy and me get a house..then I can have have a place to work on them without being outside .....house we looking at has an oversized 2 car garage w/ loft...I dont know what the house looks like but the garage is awesome!

I've had a couple of Turbo Coupes (And Wagons)

coupertfrt.jpg

turbocpe4x4.jpg

There seems to be more of the Turbo Coupes west of the Rockies. But the convertable conversions were nationwide, altho not that many were done.

I have seen 3 in the PNW in the last 4yrs.

Mine is the only one I've seen in my area. Seen 3 wagons, and a couple of Brats, but as far as I know, only one Turbo Hardtop in the Rogue River Valley.

Also, does anyone else have a "Lightning Silver" one? And has anyone seen two with the same decals? Everyone I've personally seen have had different graphics, thats counting online pics. All different kindsa layouts.

This is my 84:

3184hardtop2.jpg

I dont have any pics yet but I have 3 EA81T cars 2 coupes and a brat! Funny though both coupes have different striping, but Identical features, one is silver and one is the burgandy color. Pwr windows, automatic, digi dash, luggage rack, 4 spoke alloys. I'm hopin to put some pics up soon.

Wow :slobber: I love your car. Love the color. Everything. Nice find!!

Mine is the only one I've seen in my area. Seen 3 wagons, and a couple of Brats, but as far as I know, only one Turbo Hardtop in the Rogue River Valley.

Also, does anyone else have a "Lightning Silver" one? And has anyone seen two with the same decals? Everyone I've personally seen have had different graphics, thats counting online pics. All different kindsa layouts.

This is my 84:

3184hardtop2.jpg

From what I was able to get out of the previous owner, it was a leased car in a fleet that was returned, and then the dealer had it converted by the coachbuilder that did the conversions after it had been returned to SoA and auctioned.

As for the Cavaliers, they were from the factory--GM has this lovely habit of churning out mountains of garbage at every turn, so can't put much stock in that. But all other Subie convertibles I've seen have been at least GLs or GLFs. (Couple of GL-10s and Turbo Tractions, too.)

You've seen all of these convertibles? Where??!! Man I must not have been paying attention or something. I have only seen a handful on line and one in Hemmings motor news. A turbo traction!!! now that would be something! Do have pics of any of these?

• 10 months later...
I've had a couple of Turbo Coupes (And Wagons)

coupertfrt.jpg

turbocpe4x4.jpg

There seems to be more of the Turbo Coupes west of the Rockies. But the convertable conversions were nationwide, altho not that many were done.

I have seen 3 in the PNW in the last 4yrs.

damn that such a hot looking car... id like to see one w/ a 4 in lift with some swampers:headbang:

This is my 84:

3184hardtop2.jpg

u kno come to think of it i have seen a silver one in reno actually but i dont kno if it was a turbo cuz i didnt see turbo decals