Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's Gone !!!

I took the '80 brat to the dealership to have them fix the tranny and come to find out its been missing for four days. FOUR DAYS and nobody called me or anything. Stolen right frome the dealership. I have to file some poilce files, and hope that it is found. my computer has been down, but I'll try to keep you posted. What do I do If they don't find it? sue? or have them cut me a deal on a new STI? or what. I worked 5 months to get the brat in my name, because it was kinda taken without asking, and I ended up with it, now its gone. :mad::(

Wait a minute ... your car was stolen from a Subaru dealership and after four days you find out by calling THEM? They didn't notify the police it was stolen? I would go straight to the DA and ask for an internal theft investigation.

The fact that they didn't notify 1. the cops, and 2. the owner is highly suspect.

Notify SOA immediately, and tell them you want an internal investigation of this dealership.

I imagine you'll need a lawyer before this is done, remember THEY have one, and you should never go to a gun fight carrying a knife.

I took the '80 brat to the dealership to have them fix the tranny and come to find out its been missing for four days. FOUR DAYS and nobody called me or anything. Stolen right frome the dealership. I have to file some poilce files, and hope that it is found. my computer has been down, but I'll try to keep you posted. What do I do If they don't find it? sue? or have them cut me a deal on a new STI? or what. I worked 5 months to get the brat in my name, because it was kinda taken without asking, and I ended up with it, now its gone. :mad::(

Uhhhhhhh, "it was kind of taken without asking" Now you know how the previous owner feels. Maybe someone "kind of took it back without asking". I'm not implying that YOU did anything wrong, but I would be more cautious in the future with purchasing vehicles that don't have free and clear titles.

Jordan

A poilce report has been filed and they said its about 85% chance that they find it. I was thinking it might be an inside job, I mean how do you know it is gone and then not call the owner. It was an abandoned vehical, set to be towed and a frind tried to contact the owner, but coulden't so he/she took it to save it. couple months later I bough it off another friend and went through the leagal prossess. I would love to recieve a new STI, but I 17 the ensurence would be over $500 a month.

lol, what a mess.

If it's the orginal owner that got it back, good for him. If he has his orginal title, I don't think you could say he stole it :cool: Just watch out beacuse if it is, someones going down for grand theft auto. That does not look good on the perminate record. Get yourself a lawyer, definately. You should at least be able to get your money back from someone. That situation has to suck, I'm sorry to hear you are in it man.

Just imagine you are the orginal owner trying to find your subaru, then you spot it at a dealership! Damn if it were me all hell would break loose!

Remember don't kind of take anything! Who was your friend to sell some one elses subaru in the first place? There are police impound yards for stolen or found vehicles, not I found it sales :-p

No offense, but if you think you're going to get anythign out of this (particularly an STI) other than your car back, you're living in a dream world. The dealer is responsible for nothing more than your vehicle's value, IF THAT. In many cases, they aren't responsible for your vehicle or its contents if its lost or stolen, and you probably signed a wavier stating something similiar to that. At the very least, I'm guessing there are signs posted everywhere that clearly state they are not responsible if your vehicle is lost or stolen. Bottom line, if you think someone owes you more than the value of your car, you're dreaming. Sorry if that sounds harsh, I'm not trying to be an A$$, but I don't want you to get your hopes up.

Jordan

Sounds fishy on the dealerships part. He already stated that it was ABANDONED... (as in, "I don't want to have it any more"... NOT STOLEN), and he says spent a long time getting the car in his name and succeeded.

Since it was abandoned... I assume that the previous owner didn't want any "social" or monetary considerations for the car.... taxes, tags etc. ... they were fulfilled by the finder and ownership was legally granted

He now owns the car regardless of the circumstances prior, and now has title to the car... I assume.

Don't you think he is now entitled to every courtesy and effort, as far as the rest of the world is concerned, in getting the car back?

I wouldn't count on any more than the value of the car. The best would be to nail them to tha wall for crooked dealings!

Providing my assumptions are correct... I wish the best of luck! Mary

yeah if the title is in his name, and he went throught the legal process to obtain title for it, then the previous owner's title is null and void and he has no legal right to the vehicle. The fact they took 4 days and you had to call THEM, is very suspicious, I'd be gettting SOA and the cops involved ASAP

Assuming he has the title, it doesn't matter who thinks they own the car, he does in the eyes of the state now. For the dealer to "lose" the car is negligence. They must have filled out a work order when you requested a service, so they knew that the car was on the property. It is their responsibility to protect it at that point. Had one of their tecks left a lit cigarette in it and it burned to the ground, the loss would also be their responsibility to compensate.

Expect to have to fight for the value of the car unless it is found. If it was an inside job, the cops should be all over the place. Call the cops as soon as posible and if the dealer doesn't want to cooperate, ruin their reputation in the local paper.