Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front License Plate Mounting Options

I just bought a 2006 Outback. The dealer gave me a front license plate mounting bracket that requires driving two screws into the front fascia/bumper.

Does anyone know if alternate mounting kits are around which attach to

the frame or elsewhere. I hate to drive two holes/screws into a shiny new

car. Is there an alternative, besides manufacturing something myself ?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I just bought a 2006 Outback. The dealer gave me a front license plate mounting bracket that requires driving two screws into the front fascia/bumper.

Does anyone know if alternate mounting kits are around which attach to

the frame or elsewhere. I hate to drive two holes/screws into a shiny new

car. Is there an alternative, besides manufacturing something myself ?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I wish. We had a thread going on a similar issue and there isn't much out there. Some kind of metal 'U" shaped straps the would would wrap around and up from underneath might work. I've some kinda Mitsubishil plastic piece on a soob but it was screwed into place first anyway. I have a 'project' in mind that would utilize the tow hook opening on my WRX but haven't pursued it. I DID use a mounting plate from autozone on the front of my wife's OBW and on the front of my WRX to sorta stabilize all 4 corners of the plate and shift it upwards. But the plate itself requires 2 screws. sigh

here's a pic of the front of my WRX FWIW(sorry it isn't a close up);

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9016&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

• 9 months later...
really really sticky adhesive pads?? or move to arizona where you dont need a plate in front!

Any recommendation on really really sticky adhesive pads? I am in the same situation now - it is like a knife in my chest to drill the holes in a nice shiny bamper. The only pros of it - it would protect that part of the bamper from parking cars upfront in parallel parking (which I have to do :-/)

in VA they also issue 2 plates. but i lost one in the car wash 5 years ago and i put it in the trunk. i haven't gotten stopped because of it. as a matter of fact i got stopped for not having the correct "year sticker" on the rear plate, i had them in the glove box, and when he told me to put them on i showed him the no front plate... still no ticket.

your front plate may be issued, but not required. ask the state police.

It's called: Dealer Prep. I'm certain that you paid for it.

Take it back to the dealer and have him/her put it on for you. Car should have never left the lot "un-prepped".

Juan

How about plan "C".

Don't mount your plate?

I have never put a front plate on any car I have owned ever!

I have never got a ticket for not having one either.

I keep the plates on board with me but don't have them mounted to the car.

If your worried about it, keep some zip ties on board and put it on when your discussing it with the long arm of the Law.

In 22 years, I never got bothered for a plate on this little jem.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=435&cat=500&ppuser=584

Look! It still doesn't have one!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10339&cat=500&ppuser=584

Oh Look, this one doesn't have one either!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8709&cat=500&ppuser=584

Where are you going to put one on the front of a Corvette?

There just isn't a spot? They never made one.

I don't worry about such things...

If your going to get in trouble it will be for something bigger than no front plate.

Yes, Utah has a front plate law.

I see alot of cars driving around here with the front plate in on the dashboard facing out the windshield. Not sure of the legality of that, but that's what people do. And some people intentionally don't run front plates because it's only $15 fine for not having front plates, but $75 if the red light camera gets you. Or stop running red lights...