Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hybrid EJ257 (UDSM STi) into RX, the build thread

WJM

Here we go!

I have a set of USDM WRX heads that were wrecked...supposidly the valves are bent.

I have an extra set of vavles. The heads are still on the engine...soon I'll get them off and see whats what. These are 2003 spec heads...so they are shimless buckets, and I have two full sets of those...shimming shouldnt be a problem.

I also have an extra set of cam pullys...as the two passenger side plastics were destroyed in the wreck.

I have a 1996~1999 spec EJ25D intake manifold and throttlebody for the manifold assy...I'll be using side feed injectors and I'll be looking for stock STi USDM injectors.

I have a stock subaru cast iron turbo header...stockers are better. ;)

Block....I have 3 EJ257 blocks to choose from.

1: bare block halves...light surface rust on cyl walls...otherwise checks out.

2: EJ257 from Legacy GT/Outback XT...light cyl wall rust, evidence that timing belt idler blew up and...i cant see any valve/piston contact, so ive got '4 good pistons and a block'...so theres #2.

3: Block with less than 3k miles...3 excellent pistons and cyl walls. zero rust. cyl #2...very light scoring and a cracked piston. I have one extra piston out of another block for that.

I will be starting off with #3 on the list.

I will be using the stock sti headgaskets, 11044AA642, the thin ones...that will result in an 8.8:1 compression ratio. TQ!!!!!!!!

Again, the turbo will be the stock USDM EJ205 WRX turbo...the TD04L-13G. That'll mean instant boost and lots of low end...very good mid range, and acceptable top end to 7k. I plan on VF34/VF39 sometime in the future to make the top end align with the current planned low end.

exhaust will feature a Stromung divorced dowpipe, an a 2.5" custom exh from the DP back. Noise=louder is better.

Pics will be comming soon.

I'm very interested in this Will. Especially if you do end up MSing it. I haven't been able to find documentation of ANYONE MSing an EJ, something I may be interested in doing shortly...

ZERO people have MS'ed an EJ engine.

I will be using the MS.

Now that I have all the proper hardware (Wideband, knock feedback stuffs, laptop to tune on the fly with, etc...), I have found that the MS is perfectly capable of handling anything as long as you know what you are doing.

Since I know what I am doing...there will be no issues.

Do those buckets happen to be 33mm in diameter?

If so...can I purchase one that you don't end up using (I know you're a ways away from setting lash) when it is convenient?

I have two applications with 33mm hydros and would love to have a source of one piece buckets (right now I'm looking at using KZ650 shim under units).

the MS fits just fine in the convinient in dash storage compartment (glove box)...thats where its at already.

trans and rear end will be stock RX...as JWX wants me to see how much power it takes to break one.

otherwise, I'll be using the stock RX LSD forever. Ring and Pinion will change according to transmission ratio...

i dont know what the buckets are...i have not measured.

I now have the intake manifold and throttlebody in my possesion...a complete EJ22E engine that runs that I'll use for misc parts...an EJ205 shortblock for parts, and anoter EJ22E longblock thats for parts as well.

Next...pickup the STi block I am going to use, the other EJ205 for parts...the 04 WRX transmission, and bring the engine hoist/stand home and I'll be ready to start building!

WOW! I've looked at those DP's in the mag's and they look wicked.

What is the weight difference between your stock motor and the one going in?

Are you changing anything suspension wise to help deal with the increased load up front?

ATB with your project.

Well now...I cant find my camera....:mad:

AND...NONE of the early SOHC or DOHC intake manifolds will bolt up to the heads. the ports and bolt patten is alot bigger than the other stuff...that means I will need a turbo specific DOHC intake manifold. :banghead:

set of valves, cam gears and some other misc WRX head parts came in this morning....later today some useful nuts and bolts will come in so I can put the block on a stand.

tonight..I'll get the camera out and take some pics.