Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Price of OBW at $27 geting to high, New RAV4 going to take share!

You have your opinions .... I have mine.

My dream stable would include a 2004 subaru STI, and a lifted 81 hatch. as well as a 2005 Wrangler Rubicon. Oh and a 2005 Carerra 4 (Twin Turbo European addition) he he he...

Mine would be a Landrover Series IIA 109 station wagon with the mechanical 2.5TDI engine, a late 90's Outback impreza (sport) with a dual range EA82 series tranny in it and a 2 or 3" lift, a 4wd subaru justy with a 3 cylinder turbo diesel in it, and a Reva to zip around town in.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHortlid mentioned the possibility of Subaru/Toyota platform sharing.

Subaru's unconventional engine and drivetrain layout make it really, really difficult to share a platform with a Subaru, unless you're using a Subaru engine.

The Saabaru is a good example of platform sharing, but I don't think Toyota want to rebadge non-Toyotas as Toyotas, and the same for Subaru. Both companies have very good reputations and may be too "proud" to share a platform.

Really, you think it looks that bad. My extended family has had Roos since the 70's and one look at the new RAV4 and it's price tag and they are jumping ship! I guess only time will tell.

Sorry, it seems you and yours aren't the market Subaru thinks they should have now. They want the $$$! Its a shame. Heck a standard Impreza is almost 20grand.

Sorry, it seems you and yours aren't the market Subaru thinks they should have now. They want the $$$! Its a shame. Heck a standard Impreza is almost 20grand.

I think you are right, Subaru has to look deep. Does it want the ups and downs of more $$$ for higher end cars, that come in a out of favor. OR does it want to be safe and stick with the customers that got it too where it is today?

I guess Suzuki might be filling that old Roo nitch with the Aerio AWD's. But again only available in automatics.:-\

SHortlid mentioned the possibility of Subaru/Toyota platform sharing.

Subaru's unconventional engine and drivetrain layout make it really, really difficult to share a platform with a Subaru, unless you're using a Subaru engine.

The Saabaru is a good example of platform sharing, but I don't think Toyota want to rebadge non-Toyotas as Toyotas, and the same for Subaru. Both companies have very good reputations and may be too "proud" to share a platform.

A Scion AWD would be cool and CHEAP!! Echo platform AWD would be the Justy of 2007+!!:brow:

It is regretable to see that the new FJ is only offered with a gas guzzling V6. When I saw the concept it was supposed to be a turbo diesel. Toyota makes some of the best small diesel passenger vehicles in the world it too bad that they are so rare in the US. I guess there will not be a market interest until the price of gas exceeds $10/gal.

I am a big fan of subarus because they are well built, simple, and efficient. I also like all of the low end torque that they make. Just think if they made a diesel!

In regards to the Jeep argument, I own a 93 Grand Cherokee. I like it. For the record, this is the one year that they came with Aisin (toyota) trannies. But it has not been as reliable as my old Subaru and of course its a gas pig. But what I will say to Jeep's credit is that it makes power at low rpms. When you step on it, it goes! I cannot say the same for any of its japanese contemporaries. If you want to feel any of those 200+ hp in the toyota trucks, you have to wind the tac up past 4000.

Just my relatively uninformed opinion.

I've also got to take exception to the anti-Jeep sentiments. I've got a 94 Grand Cherokee w/ 5spd manual (only one I've ever seen). It's been extremely reliable (150k and still going strong) and gets nearly the same mileage as my 97 Impreza w/ 4EAT. 19c/20h for the Jeep vs. 23c/26h for the Subaru (both with roof racks and Thule boxes on top).

The Jeep has a real low range(2.7:1), lots of low end torque(200-something at 1000 rpm), and can tow a trailer with two Subarus on it. Naturally the Impreza drives a lot better, but comparing the two is like comparing apples to pineapples---all you can say is that they're both delicious, but in different ways. :cool:

I've also got to take exception to the anti-Jeep sentiments. I've got a 94 Grand Cherokee w/ 5spd manual (only one I've ever seen). It's been extremely reliable (150k and still going strong)

The Jeep has a real low range(2.7:1), lots of low end torque(200-something at 1000 rpm), and can tow a trailer with two Subarus on it. :cool:

I have NEVER seen a 5-speed Grand Cherokee. if i did I would buy it just for giggles!! That is cool, can you take a digital pic of it and the VIN #?? have you owned it since new?

I have NEVER seen a 5-speed Grand Cherokee. if i did I would buy it just for giggles!! That is cool, can you take a digital pic of it and the VIN #?? have you owned it since new?

http://boston.craigslist.org/car/130346546.html

http://www.mit.edu/~wallaceg/jeeppics/

You can clearly see the clutch pedal, though the stick shift is somewhat obscured by the steering wheel. The missing cap on the rear bumper has been replaced.

Will that make you giggle? My GF doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission (and Boston traffic isn't a good place to learn), plus we can't afford two cars, and her 4EAT Imp Wagon is newer and has fewer miles, so the Jeep's gotta go. I bought it with 40k and now's it's up to 150k and still going strong. I hate to see it go. :'(

I'll PM you the VIN.

It is regretable to see that the new FJ is only offered with a gas guzzling V6. When I saw the concept it was supposed to be a turbo diesel. Toyota makes some of the best small diesel passenger vehicles in the world it too bad that they are so rare in the US. I guess there will not be a market interest until the price of gas exceeds $10/gal.

I am a big fan of subarus because they are well built, simple, and efficient. I also like all of the low end torque that they make. Just think if they made a diesel!

Yeah, regrettable that so many manfacturers are showing turbodiesels in the car shows, but when they reach the floor in the US its always a gas.... I want a VW Taro pickup (European/african market rebadged toyota hilux from the mid 90's, but with solid front axle still, and will happily cruise at 85-90 on the highway with the turbodiesel, and also climb piles of rocks and sanddunes with 1,000+lbs of gear in the back).

There is supposed to be a 2 liter diesel H-4 subaru engine introduced in the UK this year. Wonder if it'll bolt to an EJ or EA transmission.....

But what I will say to Jeep's credit is that it makes power at low rpms. When you step on it, it goes! I cannot say the same for any of its japanese contemporaries. If you want to feel any of those 200+ hp in the toyota trucks, you have to wind the tac up past 4000.

Just my relatively uninformed opinion.

The 70's FJ landcruisers had plenty of low end torque with their inline 6. Nothing above 50mph though..... Never driven a toyota pickup (except for the Taro I guess) newer than '89, so I don't know how they are...

• 3 months later...

Just a few days ago I would not believe I would be jumping on this bandwagon, but here I am. My 2000 legacy was totalled by my wife (not her fault).

I did some checking and this new 2006 Rav4 with 269HP, 3.5L, V6, 4WD, and 7-person seating is $10000 or so cheaper than tribeca B9, that is comparable. Cheaper than OBW with NA 2.5. IMHO, Subaru will have a hard time competing with this offering.

Just a few days ago I would not believe I would be jumping on this bandwagon, but here I am. My 2000 legacy was totalled by my wife (not her fault).

I did some checking and this new 2006 Rav4 with 269HP, 3.5L, V6, 4WD, and 7-person seating is $10000 or so cheaper than tribeca B9, that is comparable. Cheaper than OBW with NA 2.5. IMHO, Subaru will have a hard time competing with this offering.

If you need a 7-pass you owe it to your self to BUY TH NEW RAV4. I would if I was in your shoes.;) the Hylander Hybrid AWD is the only thing that might do it one better!:rolleyes:

If you need a 7-pass you owe it to your self to BUY TH NEW RAV4. I would if I was in your shoes.;) the Hylander Hybrid AWD is the only thing that might do it one better!:rolleyes:

I test drove the I4 RAV4 but my dealer has no V6 in stock!

There is only one car in the entire SE region that has V6, towing package, and 3 rows of seats. We are trying to locate it. It will be hard as hudge crowds of people are milling in the toyota dealership.

At the same time, the subaru dealership was deserted. I was the only client there test driving a tribeca. It is a sweat car and drives like a dream, but like I said, $10000 over comparable RAV4. The worst think is that tribeca's EPA numbers are 18/23 of premium gasoline compared to RAV4's 21/28 mpg in 3.5L V6 269HP 4WD (regular gas)!

Yes, but my wife insists on 7 seats and I hate minivans.

What are you driving now? Have you driven one? We have an 05 Nissan Quest (with the Nissan 3.5 V6) and it blows the doors off a 2001 Outback with H4. The Honda Odyssey is pretty quick as well.

What are you driving now? Have you driven one? We have an 05 Nissan Quest (with the Nissan 3.5 V6) and it blows the doors off a 2001 Outback with H4. The Honda Odyssey is pretty quick as well.

Probably sees it as a breeder buggy but in reality a 7 seat suv screams breeder buggie just as badly only it gets worse mileage and is not as safe overall to a minivan.

It's happened, I'm deserting the subaru camp.

After the long weekend looking, I found my V6 RAV4. I have to admit, the 00 legacy served me very well (I towed a 2400 lbs boat very well) and the 06 B9 Tribeca is very impressive, but the tribeca's EPA 18/23 and premium gas requirement is insane in today's situation. I'm looking forward to RAV4's 269 HP and the EPA 21/28 mpg.

Good luck to you guys, you are a great bunch!

I've also got to take exception to the anti-Jeep sentiments. I've got a 94 Grand Cherokee w/ 5spd manual (only one I've ever seen). It's been extremely reliable (150k and still going strong) and gets nearly the same mileage as my 97 Impreza w/ 4EAT. 19c/20h for the Jeep vs. 23c/26h for the Subaru (both with roof racks and Thule boxes on top).

The Jeep has a real low range(2.7:1), lots of low end torque(200-something at 1000 rpm), and can tow a trailer with two Subarus on it. Naturally the Impreza drives a lot better, but comparing the two is like comparing apples to pineapples---all you can say is that they're both delicious, but in different ways. :cool:

I agree that Jeeps are NOT garbage. In addition to my Legacy in my driveway we also have my 95 Grand Cherokee and my brothers 90 YJ. The YJ has had the crap beat out of it over the last decade off road and is still his daily driver. The Grand has more squeaks, rattles and oil leaks then my Subaru but is trouble free and tows my travel trailer with ease. The 4.0 has easily twice the low end power of my 2.2. Mileage isn't that bad either. The Grand average 18 to 22 vs 22 to 29 for the Subaru.

It's happened, I'm deserting the subaru camp.

After the long weekend looking, I found my V6 RAV4. I have to admit, the 00 legacy served me very well (I towed a 2400 lbs boat very well) and the 06 B9 Tribeca is very impressive, but the tribeca's EPA 18/23 and premium gas requirement is insane in today's situation. I'm looking forward to RAV4's 269 HP and the EPA 21/28 mpg.

Good luck to you guys, you are a great bunch!

You'll probably average 22 with the RAV4. That's not bad considering the power. I think Tribeca's average about 19. But it is heavier and more luxury oriented.

You'll probably average 22 with the RAV4. That's not bad considering the power. I think Tribeca's average about 19. But it is heavier and more luxury oriented.

RAV4 owners seem to average 22-24 mpg and the numbers for the 2.4L I4 seem to be similar to the 3.5L V6. This is better than the mpg I was getting in my 00 Legacy.

I agree that tribeca is a luxury car comparable to Lexus RX330.

the new rav4 will hurt the crv more than it will hurt subaru. no one looks at a subaru unless they already own one or have a friend with one. everyone in this market wants a small/mid-size suv and immediately overlook the wagon alternative toward the crv, rav4, escape, tribute, etc. subaru will remain excellent at niche status.

subaru will probably end up hurting itself with their vehicle placements. the tribeca is on par with a lexus rx, but, like i said, its overlooked by people who want the badge. that and most will not pay 38 grand for a subaru.