Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy 2.2, and i need to replace the coolant temp sensor but not quite sure where it is. I've been looking all over the intake manifold but dont see it a little help would be great, (pics even better)

Thanks

David

If it's like on my 96 2.2 L, it's under the passenger's side rear intake manifold plenum. It's got two wiires connected to it and it screws horizontaly towards the front of the engine. You have to push aside or disconnect a few wires and vac lines to get access to it. Takes a ratchet and extension to take it off and replace.

• 2 months later...

I´m now trying to replace the sensor and having a few problems.

1) How is the electrical connector disconnected from the sensor?

2) Do i have to take the manifold off to replace the sensor or can i just use a deep socket to get to it properly?

Thanks in advance

Einar

I looked at the photos above in this thread, and if yours is like that one and mine being a burnt orange/red color then I'd suggest you grasp the male end of the connector (the end with the wires) between your thumb and forefinger and squeeze.....the $%$#^ thing has a "rocker" kind of operation that lifts the latch of the male end of the plug over the "barb" (note first photo above) on the female end and then pull the connector loose.

Sometimes I think that just figuring out how to undo the electrical connectors on a Subaru is the hardest part of any job!

And for the temp sensor, you might want to drain a bit of coolant from the system before you remove the sensor or from what I've heard you'll make a mess. (I haven't replaced mine, but I did disconnect it to remove the intake to do a head gasket job on my 2.5)