Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi there,

I JUST BOUGHT A 1996 OUTBACK WAGON IT DIDNT COME WITH A OWNERS MANUAL. I NOTICE THAT ON THE SHIFTER IT HAS

PARK-REVERSE-NUETRAL-DRIVE-3-2-1 MY QUESTION IS WHEN DRIVING AROUND TOWN DO I DRIVE IN D OR 3.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS SUBARU THAT I SHOULD LOOK AT OR HAVE CHECKED OUT. I DO SMELL A FAINT

ANTIFREEZE WHEN I GO BY CAR AFTER DRIVING BUT WHEN I LOOK UNDER THE HOOD I CANT FIND ANY SIGNS OF A LEAK IS THIS NORMAL.

IM JUST LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON KNOWN PROMBLEMS WITH THIS MODEL. IT HAS A 2.5 LITER - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - 166,000 miles

SINCERELY YOURS

NEWBE SUBE

hi there,

I JUST BOUGHT A 1996 OUTBACK WAGON IT DIDNT COME WITH A OWNERS MANUAL. I NOTICE THAT ON THE SHIFTER IT HAS

PARK-REVERSE-NUETRAL-DRIVE-3-2-1 MY QUESTION IS WHEN DRIVING AROUND TOWN DO I DRIVE IN D OR 3.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS SUBARU THAT I SHOULD LOOK AT OR HAVE CHECKED OUT. I DO SMELL A FAINT

ANTIFREEZE WHEN I GO BY CAR AFTER DRIVING BUT WHEN I LOOK UNDER THE HOOD I CANT FIND ANY SIGNS OF A LEAK IS THIS NORMAL.

IM JUST LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON KNOWN PROMBLEMS WITH THIS MODEL. IT HAS A 2.5 LITER - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - 166,000 miles

SINCERELY YOURS

NEWBE SUBE

use 'D' unless you have a need to lock in a lower gear or other unusual circumstances.

You could always order a manual - try Jamie at www.subarugenuineparts.com also, look around at www.cars101.com

Definetly investigate the coolant smell. Could be a simple as a bad radiator cap.

welcome to the boards!

use "D".

2.5's have headgasket issues, the "search" function is your friend. practice with it and it'll give you lots of help. you'll see lots of headgasket issues with the 2.5 liter of that vintage.

of course hoses, leaks, radiator caps should be checked first. does the temp gauge hold steady or move around?

have you popped the hood and checked for coolant loss or to see where the smell/fluid is coming from?

first thing you should do is put a couple gallons of antifree in the car, just in case. best to have some for back up than blow the motor if it starts to overheat.

Welcome

If your putting AF in the car use the premix. The AF smell, check all the easy stuff first. Usually the 2.5L blows a headgasket internally. My 97 OBW does the same thing your does, i just keep an eye on it, as its so minor i cant seem to find the source, and just keep a close eye on the temp gauge.

nipper

hi there,

SINCERELY YOURS

NEWBE SUBE

My 97 obw had a slight temperature problem, really just a fluctuation in the temp gauge upon strenuous driving, i.e. start and stop, up hills, etc.

There are usually just three reasons for this:

1. The worst case: head gasket is blown

2. Not as bad: the coolant clumps in the radiator, solved by replacing the

radiator and coolant

3. The thermostat is bad

I replaced the radiator and hoses and the temp sender and all is well.

You know its the head gasket if the coolant smells like exhaust, just open the radiator cap when it is COOL, and smell the coolant.