Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about 2.2L head removal

I need to do the head gasket on my 2.2 Legacy.

The Haynes manual is quite helpful, but it crossreferences sections of the book, and as part of the head removal it says to remove the cam and valve rockers.

When looking at the diagrams, since all the head bolts are accessible without removing the valve cover, can't I just remove the whole head leaving the cam/rocker/buckets/valves intact? I'm thinking that since it's a crossreference to the section on how to dissassemble the head, that this is overkill and unnecessary for a gasket job.

Can anyone help?

thx,

Stephen

I need to do the head gasket on my 2.2 Legacy.

The Haynes manual is quite helpful, but it crossreferences sections of the book, and as part of the head removal it says to remove the cam and valve rockers.

When looking at the diagrams, since all the head bolts are accessible without removing the valve cover, can't I just remove the whole head leaving the cam/rocker/buckets/valves intact? I'm thinking that since it's a crossreference to the section on how to dissassemble the head, that this is overkill and unnecessary for a gasket job.

Can anyone help?

thx,

Stephen

yES YOU can do it like that