Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator conversion/swap

are you looking to upgrade your radiator? if so, one of the easiest routes is a 2 row radiator, as opposed to the singloe row "heavy duty". check out radiatorbarn.com, they have a 2 row specific for L series for 138 bucks or so with free shipping, plus its all metal. With a little luck there maybe a "high performance" application thats close to fitting ( i havent found it yet)

my ea82t wagon lived with mods and a/c in arizona off one of these 2 row radiators, 160deg t-stat and i wired the electric fan to come on with the car in "run"

this setup was able to keep my car at stable temp in 115-120 degree weather

rllywgn

hey thanks.

i really needed condensor for a/c, the original design is a tragedy waiting to happen here(salty roads, frigid temps),The oem original died in less than 5 years from new with a perfect slow leak that made car a suicide machine. I was curious to find an entirely different combination cheaply. the original radiator is actually rugged.I did convert to 134a refrigerant before complete hissing blowout revealing the leak of condensor. Prices and quality of original aren't even a thought of mine to replace it, without a hack job into a stronger one.

I don't know about the condensor from the Legacy, as my car has no A/C, so I never looked into that:cool: . My guess is that it would be more trouble than it's worth, but I may be wrong there. Since the Legacy was probably R134A from the factory, the connections may be different and blah blah blah.... anyway, it would probably take a lot of fab work, and I don't know how much it would increase the A/C cooling capacity. I do know, having taken a class on A/C, that when a vehicle is retrofitted to R134A, a larger condensor is often required in order for it to cool as well as with R12. It varies depending on the system, but that's usually how it goes.

A bigger condensor ought to be mentioned before conversion to 134a , if it is truly a problem to cool. I will try newer OEM without hacking only if i get a reply that someone's loyale AC works just fine with 134a and oem condensor :)

I was able to fit a 2 core into my 93 Loyale wagon. I had to cut a small portion out of the radiator core on the passenger side to accomodate the larger tank and also cut about a 1/4" off of the 4 clutch fan studs to give me room enough to install the fan back on, but it was no problem.