Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 2 Brat towing Gen 1 Brat 30 miles ... good or bad idea? *** now with PICS***

I just found a pretty good deal on a '78 brat ... but now I need to go get it home :-p I have access to a Ford Exploder to do the job, but I think it would be fun to use my brat if it's not going to hurt anything ... I can take the back - roads and go no faster than about 35 - 40 if I have too, and I have a custom bumper on the rear that is really solidly attached to the normal bumper tunnels and the car tie-down loops, just wana make sure this isn't going to be damaging ... + all my tools are in the brat already ... any input appriciated thx!

;)

i know this is off topic, but pics are a must if you do it:-p

OHHHHHhhhhhhhh - YEEEEAAAaaaaaaaaahhhhh :headbang:

I gotta Digi with me to take pics and see if anyone thinks the rust (cancer) is terminal or not ... it's pretty bad especially in the bed, but this is a Montana car and it was given to the current second owner, apparently the original owner reciently passed away ... some interesting features:

1600 JDM motor (how do I confirm this looking at it?) possibly with just around 60k miles ... the brat's showing 33k on the clock, but I doubt it's not at least 133k or 233k ... orig owner bought it new and it has the front long push bar and a bunch of wheels in the back ... the current guy thought he had a 1800 and bought new disty, wires etc, etc (I'm gonna snag these for Stompr1 ... that's my Gen 2 :brow: ) for a 1.8 ... it does run but it has serious carb problems (Duh!! it has the Hi-tossy carb :-p ) and will only go 20 mph :drunk: if the rust is fixable, I might try to lift it and transplant a EA81 & D/R 5 speed and sell it ... mainly concerned that the rear strut towers are rusted out :eek:

If it is too rusty gonna definatly part it out ... looks like there is some demand for a 1600 JDM ... just wana make sure that is what it is :D

Well, I'm off to puck-up my '78, and since no one said "NO!! YOU'LL TOAST THE TRANNY!!:eek::banghead::horse: !!" I guess I will just take it easy and maybe I will put my extra battery in it to opperate the 4-ways (if they work :rolleyes: ) and a "IN-TOW" sign ... well wish me luck! I think it also has some decient hub-caps that I might be giving away with some wheels so I will make pics as soon as I get back :brow:

I pushed a full size Ford with a gen 2 Brat and she isn't having too many problems. Pushed her about 5 miles or so? I think my tranny is getting toasted but it came out of a hard abused gen 2 Brat...

Kewl! that would be a nice pic to post :brow:

Well, I made it back just fine, at one point tho the nylon tow strap broke! :eek: :eek: :eek: About 1 mile from home and on a hill my friend behind me gave a TRU test to the brakes :o:dead:

But I just tied the strap back together and went on home :drunk: good thing it didn't break when I really needed it ... so now gonna go get 100' of that 10,000 lb rope (it might have been cut a bit by the tire that it was wrapped around for a cushion) but we got it home Yay! pics below :burnout:

Hi, my name is Shane Plesner, and this is my first post ever on USMB. I was introduced here by my good friend FlyB0y. I was the rustbucket driver. lol It was fun though, and we didn't really have any problems except for the rope breaking - I think that's partly my fault (ebrake :-/).

Anyway - one of the pics he took had me in the driver seat - yup that is me...

Cyaz

Whats with the dishes? you trying to talk with the aliens???

I want a old school brat :eek: !!!

How was the towing? I always wondered if I could tow another cor on a trailer. I know a car trailer would weigh about 600kg and the car about 1200, so I was just woundering what it was like towing that little brat, esp with those tyres.

Whats with the dishes? you trying to talk with the aliens???

I want a old school brat :eek: !!!

How was the towing? I always wondered if I could tow another cor on a trailer. I know a car trailer would weigh about 600kg and the car about 1200, so I was just woundering what it was like towing that little brat, esp with those tyres.

LOL!! naw ... I just wear a tin-foil hat when I wana talk to little green men from Mars :drunk::D:eek: (ok ... ok ... I live in a Red-Neck little town ... those dishes are from the 70's and no one has bothered to take them down yet)

We had no real problems towing, just in the last mile I think I screwed up and let too much slack in the tow-strap and one last "YANK!!" and it broke ... I was mostly worried because we were on a steep hill and didn't know how good the breaks were on the '78 ... he had to hold the breaks with his foot till I blocked them with some tires from the bed :burnout:

nice. at least you got it home in one peice. I am buying a 78 brat too, about a week or two and she'll be home! I will be towing it also, but Im am going over a pass, nothing too serious though. That or drive an hour one way then hour back the other way to avoid he pass. Think Ill go the pass and coast where I can?

wasnt the tire there for cushion if one braked or acceled too fast? maybe not.

Ill post more soon...

• 1 month later...
nice. at least you got it home in one peice. I am buying a 78 brat too, about a week or two and she'll be home! I will be towing it also, but Im am going over a pass, nothing too serious though. That or drive an hour one way then hour back the other way to avoid he pass. Think Ill go the pass and coast where I can?

wasnt the tire there for cushion if one braked or acceled too fast? maybe not.

Ill post more soon...

Yep ... the tire WAS supposed to act as a cushion if anyone braked or accelerated too fast, but that works MUCH better with a tow chain ... it actually started to cut into the strap :eek::rolleyes: and then when my friend jammed the breaks once too hard, it broke :eek: :eek: good thing the breaks worked well enough for me to tie it back together or he would have been rolling backwards on the only really steep hill of the trip! :drunk:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...