Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starts weird, its a BRAT?!

Guest GBianchi

Guest GBianchi

O K 84 brat runs great, starts weird, acts like its not going to start then when you give up and let the key snap back it fires and starts. I'm thinking ignition switch, any confermation on this idea would be greatly appriciated

Guest moosens

Sister inlaw's '83 GL Coupe is the exact same way.I won't invest anymore time into it right now so as long as it starts I doubt I'll do anything about it.

Guest subu luvr

i may be misleading you with incorrect info,

seems i remember that behaviour as a symptom

of the ballast resistor(s) being bad....

if i can find any evidence supporting this hallucination

i will follow up....

Guest tomrhere

There is a seperate circuit for ignition while cranking starter. I would check for voltage to the coil, will someone cranks over the engine. Haven't gotten that involved in the wiring circuits of a 'Ru yet, so I can't give any specific items to be suspect on. But if you don't have voltage at the coil, I'd start at the ignion switch, and work out towards the coil.....Tom

Guest 84SOOB

Too funny, I'm working on the same problem. My '84 BRAT all electrics died and I coast to a stop. Try to start, the starter cranks, the motor turns but no start. Coil is getting juice. I pulled off the coil lead wire and hold to engine block and I only get a spark when the key is just turned on for split second and then again when you get tired of cranking the motor and you move the key back to off it sparks again only for a split second. What does a ballast resistor do? Where is it? What can I do to check the ign. switch? Switched to a back up coil and the same thing happens.

Guest GBianchi

O K so its not so weird after all, huh! Heres my plan, I'm going to turn ingnition switch to on, then run a jump wire from the spade connector on the starter to the battery cable. If she fires quickly then I'd say switch?? Thanks to all whom replied, hey McBrat you out there?

I thimk therefor I an? HUh!

Greg your method will work - here is another way to de fur the pussy.

Put a test light on the positive terminal of the coil.

Other side of test light to ground.

Unplug the spade connector on the starter solenoid.

Key in run position - light should light

Key in the start position - light should still light -

if not suspect ig switch and time for a aux relay feeding battery positive voltage to the coil and triggered by the wire to the start solenoid spade connection.

Hope this helps and feel free to email me for any wiring help.

Guest 84SOOB

Hey Skip, tried the test light method you described, it lit with key on in both positions w/ spade plug disconnected. Should I try the "hot wire" method to try to start the BRAT, this will bypass the ign. switch, correct? Or since the light lit in both positions can I rule out the ign. switch? Thanks, Brian.

Guest GBianchi

Additional info with a volt meter attached to the coil with the key on voltage is 12 volts with starter cranking voltage drops to around 8.5 approx. Starter turns motor over quickly and does not seem to be laboring at all, so I don't suspect its the prob, but who knows.

Thanks Skip and I just may drop you a line some where in my electrical tinkering.