Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thule Evolution 1800 on an Outback

Hi there...I have a 2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i, and want to find a cargo box that is long enough to fit skis (185cm) without the box interfering with opening the hatchback.

I have heard that the Thule Evolution 1800 will accommodate the skis, but will not mount on the factory roof rails of the Outback wagon without interfering with the hatchback. Is there another way of mounting this (maybe with Thule Towers/Feet & Load Bars?) to make this work?

thanks!

Use the 450 foot pack with the 50LB load bar in order to handle the load. You should be able to slide the bars forward/backwards to obtain the optimal mounting point for the box. The hatch should open all the way...I believe the new Outback roof rails allow for a nice range of bar spread. If you need more ideas or confirmation, visit THULE's website at http://www.thuleracks.com

I have an older Thule roof box on a '96 Outback. We have the rear spoiler which wanted to hit the box if the hatch is opened. I mounted the front crossbar as far forward as possible then slid the box forward until it didn't have any interference problem with the open hatch. Then I drilled new front mounting holes in the box; they were about 8" back from the original ones. That put the two cross bars rather close together so I drilled new rear mounting holes as well. It does look a bit odd with the front crossbar almost halfway back on the box but it works fine.

I use Thule crossbars. The Subaru bars would probably work if you have U-bolts wide enough to span them. You might need to shim between the bar and the box to account for the arch in the bar. If the box is mounted off-center then it wouldn't be level side to side.