Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how many miles does your Ej22 have??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

190k counts at high mileage? I've only once had a subaru with less than that (bought it with 189k). My dad's outback wagon has 168k now, and still runs great. I've heard of people getting up to about 300k on one of these engines.

And then...just put in another engine and keep on going.

• 2 years later...

My Subi 2 (97 Legacy L wagon) is at 273,500 and still working every day... bought it just over two years ago with 140k on it.

My original goal was 300k but now I'm hoping for 350k.

Original motor and tranny (5MT)... been using Amsoil since 140k miles.

Mal

turbo wagon 94 has 180,500 on its ej22t

turbo sedan 92 has 150,500 on its ej22t

legacy L wagon with blown ej22 had 174,000, and the new one i got to replace it has over 200,000 i think.

that is a total of 705,000 miles of ej22's in my drive. :banana: add in 121,000 on my brat ea81, and 61,000 for my civic D16 and i have approaching 1 million miles on my cars.

I ordered in a used '95 2.2 (with 150,000 miles), for my Outback ('97) swap. It showed up covered in crud, and no thermostat. I pulled the covers off and the water pump was so shot the pully had like an of play up and down. The engine had gotten so hot the rear timing covers were melted to the engine. I didn't have time to return it, so throw some new gaskets, pump, etc. on it and went. That was almost thirty thousand miles ago...still going. :headbang:

My GF's car got totalled going on 2 years ago. 96 Impreza sedan 2.2 auto. 240k on original engine and trans with nothing but normal maintenance.

A testament to changing oil often - no matter where. Sometimes Pennzoil quick lube, sometimes wal-mart, sometimes the 'redneck garage' down the road as she calles it. For the last 60k-70k I maintained it.

Car had hit 8 deer and been fixed each time. Then it was hit by an F150 (kid driving to high school changing CD's) and pushed her into a big cable TV service truck while they were setting at a stop light. The car still ran excellent. Don't know how many miles it would last. She wasn't really hurt - other than the airbag - bruises, coughing and hacking.

Two things I was sure of. She thought it would run forever. And that someday when it did break it would have been my fault.

She didn't even look at anything else and bought a 2006 Impreza that I now get to maintain. Probably 60k on it now.

Dave

I just donated my '93 OBW with 287,000 miles on it. Engine still ran great, but lost 3rd gird on the AT and decided it was time to move on. The engine took some abuse maintenance-wise from the previous owner, but ran great when the AT went out. Unfortunately, I decided to buy a '98 with the 2.5 before I found this forum (found this forum because of the 2.5 actually). I was the proud owner and drove the '98 for about 3 hours before the HG went... I wasn't worried about it because previous owner said that it was done 30,000 miles ago... well guess what, now I have a 2.2 in there and am confident it will run for a very long time.

The one in my loyale now came out of a 1992 postal legacy. The RHD's were sold pretty exclusively to the postal system, so it had been in continuous use doing stop and go rural delivery from then untill 2007. I don't know exacly how many miles were on it, but you can tell it's a bit down on low end torque. I'd say it was a bit worn, but it runs great and the price was right.

So mine has 15 years of 6 day a week stop and go driving for mabe a 50 mile route, whatever that equates out to.

my 92 Legacy L wagon has 217,611(previous owner did alot of highway driving with it).Head Gaskets,cam seals,oil pump seal and water pump was done after i got it a year an a half ago along with 2 struts,1 axle shaft,exhaust leak at the manifold.does use some oil but no more then a quart during a months time..(maybe 2).no leaks

now if only i can get the rust under control...

92 Legacy L Wagon 4EAT, 280k on original engine and transmission, lots of power still, and runs very smooth. Averages 24mpg with a high of 29mpg (no exclusively highway tanks). Running E85 +1 gallon unleaded per tank now and getting about 20 mpg in mixed driving...

93 Legacy L Wagon 4EAT, 190k on engine and transmission, idles a little smoother than our 92 but doesnt have a much power and the transmission has some sloppy shifts once in a while. This one was heavily abused by a kid for several years after it was given to him by his parents (wow this car was disgusting when I bought it!) but I still see no reason why it wouldnt make it to 250k. Got 22mpg on gas and getting 20mpg on the same E85/unleaded mixture as the 92.

1991 Legacy Sports Sedan, EJ22T, 5 speed. Bought it two years ago with 162k and needed tires, clutch and rear struts & brake pads. Had that done along with replacing the rear main seal as I wanted to switch to full synthetic, and added a paint job, (I painted it myself), oh, and a set of nice 5 spoke aluminum wheels from Tire Rack. I have 178500 or so now and have only had to replace the right front CV axle.

Summer gas mileage around town is 24 mpg to 26 mpg depending on how trifty or the opposite I want to be. Winter time it is only around 19 mpg average.

Hiway driving at 60 -65 through mountains at 7000' elevation in the summer is in the 30mpg range. Cruising at or over the century mark in areas such a norther Arizona or New Mexico where you can see for a long distance reduces that 30mpg figure to around 26mpg. Don't ask me how I know that and please don't try this a home.

The only concern of mine at the moment is in the morning when I firt start it , the rpm jumps up to near 2000 rpm, on a cold engine. Also it takes several seconds for the engine to come back down from around 1100 -1200 rpm to idle at around 700 even after is has been warmed up and driven. Not so bad in the summer, but I don't like that in the cold of winter. IAC or something? Not sure , but I love this car.

Mike

1996 OBW. Bought it 6 years ago with 127k on it. It now has 216k. Has had 3 clutches put in (surely my fault), VCU replaced, timing belt broke on me one time. The tie rod ends are going to be replaced next week. Various oil leaks over the years.

I really think its previous owner wasn't too kind to it. I try to baby it as much as I can. No plans to get rid of it any time soon.

• 6 months later...

491,000miles on my '96 Legacy wagon when the differential lost all its fluid on a long trip and burnt up. Junked it. It never had an engine or tranny swap. I was weeks away from 500K. Damn.

My '95 EJ22 Legacy wagon has 209,000miles on it. Looking forward to 200k more.