Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy 2.5i cruise control shuts off

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i, 5-speed manual transmission. When I use cruise control, the cruise control will shut off sometimes. When I say "it shuts off", I mean it no longer keeps the speed I set it at and gas pedal is no longer depressed, but the "cruise" light is still on. So it's kind of like when you're in Cruise Control and you tap the brake, even though I didn't.

At first, I thought it was happening only when the engine exceeded 3k RPM but, but it seems it happens at slower speeds as well. Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks.

the first thing I would check if I was to work on it would be the brake (and also in this case clutch) switch. Maybe the tolerance is set too close and a bump in the road is enough to trip the switch. See if it happens when you hit bumps. Been down this road once in an 85 blazer years ago.

Otherwise...you got warranty...let them figure it out. :D

Matt

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i, 5-speed manual transmission. When I use cruise control, the cruise control will shut off sometimes. When I say "it shuts off", I mean it no longer keeps the speed I set it at and gas pedal is no longer depressed, but the "cruise" light is still on. So it's kind of like when you're in Cruise Control and you tap the brake, even though I didn't.

At first, I thought it was happening only when the engine exceeded 3k RPM but, but it seems it happens at slower speeds as well. Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks.

is there any pattern to it shutting off? Under any specific conditions?

nipper

When I say "it shuts off", I mean it no longer keeps the speed I set it at and gas pedal is no longer depressed,

How can you tell if the gas pedal is depressed?

Juan

Yeah, I was wondering too because the 2005's are "fly by wire" systems. Your gas pedal doesn't have the throttle cable but a potentiometer attached to it which in turn, controls a servomotor on the throttle plate. You don't have the feedback with cable actuated systems. My 2004's crusie control is a fly by wire system, but still uses the actuator cables, so I do get the feedback.

• 1 month later...