Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is the PT4WD 5th gear ratio 0.725?

this is a 1989 Subaru XT (non turbo) PT4WD transmission.

i don't see it listed in any of the on-line charts.

the one you just posted is for dual range RX (turbo)?

are PT4WD dual range as well?

even so, it's still a non-turbo.

ah, confused in maryland

thanks,

gary

that gear ratio ONLY came in the ea81 2wd tranny it was never in any 5spd mt 4wd trannys

EA81 MT 2wd

1st 3.07

2nd 1.950

3rd 1.266

4th .885

5th .725

reverse 3.583

final drive 3.70

EA82 MT 5spd S/R & D/R 4wd

1st 3.636

2nd 1.950

3rd 1.344

4th .971

5th .780

reverse 3.583

final drive 3.90

cool, thanks. getting close, but i'm still confused as i was with all the searches i went through. the PT4WD is non turbo so that should follow the gears you listed. but it is 3.7 final drive and you have 3.9 listed on your list. is it still 0.780 even though it's a 3.7 final drive? and the FT4WD and RX trans mission (dual range) are turbo tranny's with 3.7 final drive. do they have 0.780 5th gear ratio also? almost there.... thanks!!

I have a FSM for a 1988 XT - so the ratios should be the same - the PT4WD (pushbutton style) is listed as a .871:1 ratio for 5th - it would confirm this if you check the rear diff ratio and find its 3.7:1 - if it is 3.9:1, you probably have the .780:1 5th gear

Both of the gears that mesh for 5th gear would have to be swapped - the gear combination is 34/39 for the .871 5th gear, and 32/41 for the .780 5th gear - this would mean that you would have to dismantle both gearshafts inside the transmission - to ensure it would all work nicely afterwards, ALL clearences would need to be checked as you are changing gears, and it would need to be handled as a transmission rebuild - I am not sure if it would have any effect on the other gears too

long and short - it is probably possible, but very difficult - get a JY tranny to do it with if at all possible, because it will be time consuming, and if it doesn't work out right, then you are not in too bad a shape - better still, have a transmission shop do it (that will probably cost big $)

good luck