Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Plans for the 78 BRAT

just want some suggestions......

i am thinking about modding my 78 brat: http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d118/ruppenduro/wheels33018.jpg

i just picked up an FE higher comp motor complete with weber 32/36 carb, would it be worth switching out the standard ea71 for the fe engine, or would i be better off just switching the carbs? i am looking to get some decent power out of this unit. just bought a 2.5 inch glasspack to mount under there, going 2.5 from the y-pipe back to the glasspack with a chrome tip. also might try running it in rear wheel drive for a while to light the tires up when at a stop light next to a honda:grin: how about those MSD ignition control systems? i was thinking of doing the electronic disty swap and topping it off with one of these, super sport coil, accel wires/plugs. with all these mods, this thing should push some decent power, let me know your suggestions. thanks

Jon

PS. anybody interested in a beautiful complete FE coupe gas tank? it is show quality. also have a complete oem FE exhaust y-pipe back to the chrome tip, also in exellent shape.

yea man!! gen 1 brats are where its at. I'm also buying a 78, one more week! I would jack it, mod, it, mud it, unless it is STILL stock. The one I am buying is kinda rusted, good floor boards, the full push bar, custom rear bumper. I think I'll put a ea81 and 4/5s d/r, whatever I get first. Have fun with it whatever you do, they are far and between up around here.

if you drop that motor in there, you won't even remember the one you pulled out. This is a great upgrade to gen 1 Brats to give them more power. I know that if I ever decide to get another 1600 for my gen 1, it'll have to be the higher compression engine, hands down since I got so used to the power.

Subaru3 shipping comes to about $35, if you want, make me an offer on the tank. it comes with the filler tube and gas cap.

i probly will end up swapping the motors in the summer, right now, i have to work on the new gen 2 and try to get it to daily beater status, which will be a ton of work, also have to stop the rust before it gets any worse.

thanks for the replies,

Jon

hey man-

glad you made it back before the snow. just checked out the pic of your brat- sweet! is the paint original? same color as my toyota truck. any way as far as mods well of course you need those slick looking white letter GT 205's off of my FE. since i'm doing the 'lectric vehicle thang i should really put something skinny on there like some 175 pirellis or whatever those tires and wheels were. i won't be doing anything before the spring cause of my gimpiness and all but lets stay in touch. also let me know if you are missing anything from the engine besides the flywheel. The people making my adapter will send my bellhousing back which you can have (if you need) also i found the evaporative fuel canister (i think) which you probably don't need either, but i may have something else kicking around in the pile. i couldn't find your e-mail. mine is fennellturner@hotmail.com. drop me a note. thanks. later.

thanks for the deal Adam!

yea, stay in touch man, i will take your offer on the wheels if you come down this way some time, or i might be able to bring them up sometime. i am pretty sure the bell housings are the same, but thanks for the heads up.

the paint on the brat looks to be the original color, not sure if it is the original paint. if you are down this way sometime, stop and check it out.

take care,

Jon

ps. my email address is ruppenduro@yahoo.com

Please reconsider shipping the gasoline tank via Fed-Ex as, even though you thing it is dry inside, it probably is still explosive and dangerous to the plane and crew it will be on. We just had a horrible accident last week here in Phil as a UPS plane landed at the last second (and on fire) the crew barely escaped with their lives and the plane was destroyed. It probably was due to forbidded shipment material that was not declared. My son is a pilot for Fed-Ex so this type of cavalierism is high on my list. Please reconsider!

iflyifr

Yes you are correct that hazardous material is shipped every day. BUT, when it is declared as such they know exactly what it is and take the proper measures to load it properly, such as separating conflicting material. Some hazardous material (items) generate carbon dioxide therefore causing a fire hazard. If they know what each item is, they seperate it into different containers before loading it onto the plane.

Your said something like "if they don't know about it, I can get away with it"

I'm not just trying to bust on you, just to get you to declare what you are shipping. Beside, it's the federal law. Thanks for caring about our pilots.

iflyifr

• 3 weeks later...
i was told it has more compression because it has a longer stroke. i think the heads are the same.

Different cam,different head,and in '79 a different intake.

All cranks and con-rods are the same unless automatic so no,the piston does not travel further.They made a different crank for the auto.,but that does not affect the FE.

Different cam,different head,and in '79 a different intake.

All cranks and con-rods are the same unless automatic so no,the piston does not travel further.They made a different crank for the auto.,but that does not affect the FE.

i see. seems odd they went through all the the engineering trouble and then scrapped it in '80. i wonder if they were trying out new ideas that carried over to the next gen.