Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81t intake manifold/head port size mismatch..

Ross

Just thought i'd share this, it probably applies to all ea81s, but i can only vouch for it applying to ea81ts........

I noticed the spare intake manifold i had had been ground out, quite a lot, mainly on the outside radius of the bend. Then i noticed that the head i got with it had not been touched. Now why would you port the intake manifold and not the heads???

Because, the holes in the heads are at least 2mm larger in most directions than the holes in the intake!!!! Yuck. The subaru gaskets are smaller still.

I've ended up using the ported intake, and i cut down the gaskets to match with a dremel.

Something worth thinking about if you've got your intake manifold off.....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Just thought i'd share this, it probably applies to all ea81s, but i can only vouch for it applying to ea81ts........

I noticed the spare intake manifold i had had been ground out, quite a lot, mainly on the outside radius of the bend. Then i noticed that the head i got with it had not been touched. Now why would you port the intake manifold and not the heads???

Because, the holes in the heads are at least 2mm larger in most directions than the holes in the intake!!!! Yuck. The subaru gaskets are smaller still.

I've ended up using the ported intake, and i cut down the gaskets to match with a dremel.

Something worth thinking about if you've got your intake manifold off.....

only if this was posted yesterday... sigh :rolleyes:

er I mean only if I saw it yesterday... posted in january doh