Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NEED ADVICE? which is a better car a ea81 or ea82 ?? Whih motor is better?

If you guys had a choice of motors which one is better with less mainteance??? which one does not need timing belts or do they both need them???

And which is a better car the ones with the ea81 motor or the ea82 motors??? just trying to decide which one to buy, car that is.... Thanks

Well - the EA81 has no timing belts. It's definately the simpler of the two, but the carbs tend to be a bit crappy for most of us (can be replaced with a weber tho). EA82's (at least the turbo models) tend to blow head gaskets, and crack heads if they overheat - EA81's seem to be able to take just about any heat you could give them, but will eventually blow a head gasket as well if they get too hot.

As for the cars - well the EA82's are bigger, and a bit nicer inside. They were also made till 94, so your chances of finding a nice one are greater. You could put an EA81 into an EA82 car if you were so inclined.... would save you from doing timing belts I guess, but you would have less power.

GD

What a can of worms you have opened up!!.

The ea-82's put out over 10 hp more, but, with that additional power, comes additional complexity.

The ea-81's can easily make up the 10 hp difference with a $300 weber carb and hotter ignition, thicker wires.

No timing belts on the ea-81 make it hands down the easist to work on. they rarely warp heads, and rarely overheat.

The ea-81s are uglier, however, and not as nice in the amenities dept. Me, I like the character of them.

Guest taprackready

I'm looking for an EA81 wagon for my wife. I like the shape of them better than the newer models. I don't like changing timing belts. Carb seems to have plenty of power compared to the fuel injected model we use at work. I want simpler.

Bill

OTOH, I like the EA82 style better.. My turbo is not too hard to get parts for. I think it looks better.. the engine has been reliable(it came from my first soob, and I'm now on my fourth).. definitely more room inside. Heads aren't a problem unless you over heat the car badly/often.. Plus, changing timing belts isn't that hard.

See.. its all a matter of preference

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

You could put an EA81 into an EA82 car if you were so inclined.... would save you from doing timing belts I guess, but you would have less power.

GD

an ea82 isnt so bad if you are mechanically inclined enough to do timing belts and whatever preventative maintenance. if tou are skilled enough to swap motors from one body to the other, then timing belts should not worry you.

i personally prefer the ea82, it gets better high rpms, and the 5spd transmission that comes with them takes full advantage of the power curve.

some like the 5spd in their ea81 cars, but i have an ea82 with a 5spd in my ea81 body,,,,,,the ea81 doesnt really get the rpms up there for the 5 spd trannies, but are just right for the 4 spds that come with them

(4wd's)

The deal with sensors is that they deal with solenoids, and they have to regulate air/fuel ratio for the hitachis.... there's some vacuum solenoids that have different connectors, and they deal with on/off switches (like binary) for vacuum lines, so I think it's like this: (carbed car)

EA82:

two vacuum solenoids

two air/fuel solenoids

O2 sensor

Oil temp sensor

Water temp sensor

EA81:

one vacuum solenoid

two air fuel solenoids

O2 sensor

Oil temp sensor

Water temp sensor

On some models of course... and then there are the cars without ECS/ECU/ECM.

Mine is a ECU controlled carb. In either case, just slap the weber on, unplug solenoids, plug all the vacuum lines except for a couple (disty, and vapor canister, ect.) and take out the light that appears under the dash for "check engine"

You might consider at this point a computer readout for the O2 sensor so you can see the air fuel mixture (correct tuning) and of course you'll need the oil temp and water temp switches in for your dash.

If your buying a car I'd buy an EA81 car. If it sounds good and drives good it probably is a good car. The EA81 is so simple that if there is a problem you'll see it coming. AS far as the bodies go, I like the EA82 wagons best. They have lots of "creature features" that the EA81 cars lack.

When it comes to motors, I'll take an EA81 over an EA82 any day. The original EA81 in my '83 wagon has never needed anything simple periodic maintenace in 200,00 miles. I'm getting ready to pull it soon for a reseal do to oil leaks but that's it

I had an '85 with an EA82, that car always needed something. It always ran, but never as reliably as my '83. Right now I'm working on the third EA82 for my '86. The heads cracked on the original and dropped two valve seats. I bought two used engines that were no good, so I'm putting one together now that ought to work.

My point is that I debated throwing in an EA81 because after two bad experiences with the EA82s, I was ready to go back to what I felt was less of a risk.

My $.02

Guest taprackready
Originally posted by archemitis

if nothing else, the ea82s will get better mileage, carb. or efi.

they are both just as reliable as far as i can tell

I'll bet they get the same mileage. I've never been able to get our 93 Loyal at work to get over 30 MPG and my 82 brat always gets 29 MPG combined city/hwy.

Bill