Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick question about the tacho with EJ20G swap to -86 Loyale with carb

I use JDM RS Legacy (Liberty) ecu and it sends the ignition signal straight from the ecu to tacho. Can I just connect the ignition signal cable to the negative cable of the coil of the original wiring harness of the Loyale?

Loyale has the rpm unit between the negative cable of the coil where it sends its signal to the tacho and the fuel pump. I use the fuel pump cables straight from the relay of the Legacy wiring harness so that doesn't matter, but will the tacho work with EJ20G ignition signal when there is the rpm unit between?

Where is the rpm unit in the Loyale so that I could by-pass it? Or should I just remove the dash and just connect the ignition signal cable straight to the tacho of the Loyale :-\

when i did my EJ20G swap the tach was the only thing i didnt get to work. i used a GL-10 with digi dash, but could not get the tach to work. i even bought a autometer tach adapter for use with the coil on plug ing. setup. still no luck. so i just went and bought an aftermarket tach. now it works fine, and i have a shift light.

if you have any luck. let me know. i still would like t hook my tach up, if i can.

-=Suberdave=-

Ok, I'll try to locate the rpm unit and see if I can by-pass it. Or just find the cable that's going to the tachometer, but I'll let you know how it went. Might take some time yet, because I'm just making the wiring of the engine and I don't have much spare time because of working and other hobbies :-\

• 2 weeks later...

I got the original (analog) tacho working. I first tried to use a cheap ($20 :rolleyes:) tacho but I didn't get it working, probably because the cheap meter didn't get enough powerful signal from the ecu. The meter worked fine on my -87 Nissan Micra 1.0 carb with normal ignition coil so the meter wasn't broken. Then I thought that I'll try to connect the ignition signal wire from ecu to the of the negative side of the coil and I started the engine and I was amazed, it worked!

Now I only have to install the body parts to the front of the car and my engine swap is completed, probably the first EJ swap in Finland :)