Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sorry, but that's what it sounds like. 91 legacy turbo sedan. It's happened three times now and only when it's been around zero the night before. It's a real shrill squaking sound comming from behind the dashboard on the drivers side. Seems to be speed related and lasts for about a block or two and then quits and then maybe one more time for a shorter time, and then it's fine. It's very loud inside the car, I don't know if it can be heard outside or not and it's only when the car is moving.

BTY, this is my first post in a couple of years. I used to have a 90 Loyale turbo sedan and also a lifted Brat w a 92 legacy 2.2 engine/trans.

Thanks you guys and hello again.

Mike Christie

I've never had that sound in my '93 Legacy L wagon (236k miles), but it still doesn't really like temperatures below 25 degrees Fahrenheit or so, even with a new strong battery. I hope you figure out whta it is and also let us know. Oh, and that has to be one of the most catchy thread titles I have seen in a long time! ;-)

Thanks for the reply guys. I just bought the car two weeks ago. It has 163K on it and was nicely surprised how nice it ran. Click starts on even the coldest morning, quiet and smooth. Everything works. I put on new tires, rear struts and r. brake pads and and changed to Mobil 1.

I actually stepped on a ducks rump roast one time and that's what the sound was like. First I looked at the speedo and all was normal. No erratic movements, and then I thought about some sort of buzzer going berserk.

But I don't have any buzzers that I've heard, only chimes. It does get louder on acceleration and then all of a sudden just goes away.

15 degrees this morning and no squaking sounds.

Doesn't seem to effect performance.

Mike

I have had heater motors that made a terrible sound until they warmed up. They would suffer for years and finally die.

Thanks, it is similar to the sound of a blower motor going bad, but much louder and "shriller" and right in front of me behind the dash cluster. I'm not sure where the blower motor is on this car but will look for it and see if it's a possibility. I will also check the speedo cable and maybe lube it with graphite and see if it makes a difference.

Mike

The blower motor is located on the passenger side under the glove box. Could just hit off on the control panel for it so it's not turning at all to check it. Stumpy

I'm not sure where the blower motor is on this car but will look for it and see if it's a possibility. Mike

I've had the same issue, only seems to happen when temps get colder than -15°C and not consistently. Noise increases with speed. First time it happened it lasted for several minutes, but later times only for a few blocks. I attributed it to the speedo cable, especially since it was slightly bouncing while this happened.

The blower motor is located on the passenger side under the glove box. Could just hit off on the control panel for it so it's not turning at all to check it. Stumpy

Duh!....I'll try that little "off" button solution next time it does it. Didn't think of that when it 5 degrees outside, thanks.

Mike

Duh! I'll try the "off" button solution next time it does it. Never thought of that when it's 5 degrees outside, thanks.

It does have sort of an electronic sound, like maybe a relay gone berserk, but hopefully it's just the speedo cable.

I hope I can pull the cable from the transmission end, I don't really want to take the nice dash apart.

Thanks,

Mike