Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to this board

Hi everbody. I am normally a chevy guy but I always liked

the Brat so I picked one up for $850, seems to be in fair shape.

The seller warned me that the car does not always idle/run well.

Well, of course if ran fine until I got it home and tried telling the

wife what a great running car this was.

The problem seems to be with the carb and thermal. Once it warms up it does not idle hardly at all. The choke does not

appear to be stuck open and it has 12 volts.

Any ideas would be apreciated.

Thanks,

Glen

Welcome to the board. Looks Like you live in the middle of subaru heaven. There are lots of people on the board around where you live, so replacement parts shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Sorry I couldn't help with your problem.. All my soobs have been Fuel Injected. Just wanted to say welcome.

Guest taprackready

I'd start with the fundementals just like it was a chevy. Start with a good baseline tuned up vehicle and you may just solve the problem in the process. I my brat was cutting out badly and I checked the fuel filter under the bed by the pump and it looked like it was full of mud. Changed it and the filter in the engine compartment and its a new vehicle all of a sudden. What year brat is yours?

Bill

Welcome,

Sounds like you have isolated your prob to the carb area but.......

Have you done a basic tune up yet? Cap, rotor, plugs and wires work miracles with my old Subie? I have always maintained a cap and rotor will cure anything.

Might be a great starting point....

Brats are great cars/trucks.....crucks?

Glenn,

82 Hatch, transforming......:temper:

01 Forester, jealous.........:madder:

You say the choke does not appear to be stuck "open" - it should be completely open when warm - maybe it's toast.

The carburators on the Subaru's are notorious for running badly after 100k miles or so. You can rebuild them, or replace them, or for about the same cost as replacement, put a weber on instead.

I'm guessing yours is not the feedback carburator version, but if it is, then you could be looking at a bad O2 sensor, or something like that.

GD

Check for any vacuum leaks at all. Are you familiar with metric sockets? if you have a set, you can do anything to that car. An easy way to check for leaks is to let your car warm up and starts running like crap. Then get a can of carb cleaner and spray around the engine near hoses and the manifold. If you spray near a hose, and your idle picks up or smooths out, there is most likely a leak there somewhere.

Might not be a bad idea to check all the gaskets on the carb and intake manifold to make sure coolant isnt getting in your intake. That will make any subaru run like crap.

-Brian

WOOHOO!!! Another Chevy guy:D it sounds like a carb problem to me. Brian, I don't think its a vacuum leak because it would do it all the time, not just when its warm. Me thinking the carb needs a rebuild cause something is sticking in a position when its not suppoed to be when its warm

I'm with Taprack on this one. Replace the fuel filter(s). Not sure if it has 2, one in front of the right rear, and the other by the windshield wiper motor. Need to get yourself a manual for sure. Oh, and welcome to the board and the world of Subaru.

Rob