Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant temperature sensor location

I know...dumb question....

But I cant find it, and my milleage is baaaad, and I have a code 21...So I got a new one from the dealer.

2 questions:

1) Where is it lovated (idiot proof)

2) Is it necessary to remove coolant, or a quick swap will do it.

In my vw, it says to remove the coolant, but I can manage with a quick swap ! And I know....Not to forget to apply teflon to thread !

Cheers

JFD

93 Legacy L wagon

4WD, 5 speed

I know...dumb question....

But I cant find it, and my milleage is baaaad, and I have a code 21...So I got a new one from the dealer.

2 questions:

1) Where is it lovated (idiot proof)

2) Is it necessary to remove coolant, or a quick swap will do it.

In my vw, it says to remove the coolant, but I can manage with a quick swap ! And I know....Not to forget to apply teflon to thread !

Cheers

JFD

93 Legacy L wagon

4WD, 5 speed

Well, on my '95 it was on the back passenger side of the engine under the intake and several clumps of wires. Getting to it took longer than changing it out. Also, we didn't drain the coolant. Some leaked out but it wasn't too bad.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

I guess it means that I need to get to it from underneath....Not an option without a garage in our winter-slushy-icy rain condition :(

Unless your engine set-up is drastically different from mine your shouldn't need to do that...(I am very new to this site so take that into consideration with all my advice)

When I changed mine out just last thursday, I stood on the passenger side of the car right up by the windshield and leaned in. It was right there under the wires after I took the air intake off and removed three small hoses.

I am pretty sure I couldn't have reached it from underneath if I tried but there is 2 years difference between our models. *Shrug*