Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So it's been about 30* below windchill the last couple nights and my wife said the other morning the speedo stopped and the cel came on. Now I've searched for a while and have not found a definate answer on whether my 97 OBS has a cable speedo or it runs off the vss. Yes I could probably slide under the car and see but it is gone during the day and its too dam cold to be out at night. I think tommorrow I will take it to Autozone and have the codes read. If it is as I suspect, vss, where is it located, is there only one on the tranny or another on the cluster? The other thought is that I am not even on the right track and if that is the case then please point me in the right direction.

Yup- no more speedo cables.. I think Subaru did away with the speedo cable for two speed sensors- one on the front axle and one on the rear driveshaft. I beleive this is on the automatics. Since the AWD is electronic on the automatics, it uses two speed sensors to detect wheel slip, and feeds the info to the TCU and the ECU. It's also a data feed for the speedo and the cruise control. I think the speed sensors are wired into the ECU and then the ECU sends an signal to the speedo. That's why you have a CEL.

RC.

Ok called the dealer today to check if the vss was in stock. I did have the codes read and they were P0500( vss ) and P1540 ( ? ) The parts person was not able to find any info on my specific vehicle (97 obs,2.2, manual ; (I wish I could put this info in a signature), but eventually came up with a # 85082AC012. He got this from a 98 I believe. Ive seen this part in a number off posts so Im thinking no problem pick it up and repalce it. Get it home and try to locate it on the vehicle. The dealer said that it is on the transfer case ( the one that controls the speedo) and everyone here says that it is on the transmission. Well I look in both areas and find nothing that resemble the part in my hand. What I do find is what I am almost positive is a speedo cable comming out of the transmission. It is on the pass side of the transmission and routes up through the fire wall right behind the drivers dash. Now, I call the dealer back and they are unable to contact subby because of the holiday. From what Ive read and what the dealer has said there are no cables on vehicles after 96 so what is the deal with mine? With this code which sensor is to be replace? Ive seen two on the rear drivers side of the transmission but nothing close to the size of the new one.

P.S. how do I input a signature? There is not anywhere in my profile to fill this info in.

just talked with the dealer and they weren't able to tell me anything valuable. They said that form my VIN it could be either way. I thought 96 was the last year for the cable? So I've determined that I do indeed have a cable. It is the two piece cable. First, if I do have a cable then why do I get codes P0500 and P1540 which deal with VSS? Next I have read that to test the cable just disconnect it and use a drill to spin it. Since this is a two piece how do I know which part of the cable, short or long section, is bad or is it the cluster? I will try to test it later today since the car is not here and maybe it will be obvious once I have the cable out.

It is a 97. Title says so. I hope that isn't wrong it came from the dealer. Besides I gave the dealer the VIN # and that is what they are basing thier info on or should I say lack of info. He sayed that there is a window of a few months that Subby does not know what is in those cars it could be either. Mine falls in those months. I have determined that it is cable it just seems odd that everyone states that cables are gone after 96 yet here one is. I guess there are always exceptions to the rules. I just need to test the cable and go from there.

when cars go down the production line parts are often used until they are gone. This make for some interesting match ups when you have a car that is near the end or beginning of one model year. Somtimes it's really neat as the last 1967 Volvo wagons got the 144 engine and 144 seats.

Well I found the problem. I have a 2 piece cable and the shorter cable, coming out of the trans., had a bad female end. It had broke loose from the cable so the cable would spin but the end would not turn the long length of cable, to the speedo. New part is ordered.

After I install the new cabe will the CEL go out or will I need to clear the codes? Can I clear them or do I need a OBII?

(97 outback sport)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have the best parts guy ever at my dealership, but hey left a couple of months ago. The new guy has no humor and doesn't know his parts well or even try to help find out unknown information. It's like, if he doesn't have a VIN he can't tell me anything and my VIN doesn't specify that part. I know their database probably looks things up that way but there must be some other way for them to look parts up.

Thanks for the reply!

-Chris

My parts guy had to take a couple of days to figure it out even after using the vin# and taLking with subby. We actually came to the conclusion that it was this part because it had to be. It is actually the same as a 96. Well here is the part#, speedo cable: 37410AA061. Hope this helps.

It is a 97. Title says so. I hope that isn't wrong it came from the dealer. Besides I gave the dealer the VIN # and that is what they are basing thier info on or should I say lack of info. He sayed that there is a window of a few months that Subby does not know what is in those cars it could be either. Mine falls in those months. I have determined that it is cable it just seems odd that everyone states that cables are gone after 96 yet here one is. I guess there are always exceptions to the rules. I just need to test the cable and go from there.

Check the vin numbers. Subaru stoped using cables about 95. Something is weird with your car.... isnt it nice to be special?

nipper

I have been using the correct VIN#. I checked it more than oncew. It was manufactured in 12/96 as per the badge on the door jam. There is a period of a few months in which similiar vehicles ( year) may have a cable or a sensor and subby, even with the VIN, is not abel to determine what should be in each vehicle. The dealer said the only way to tell is to look at each vehicle individually. That is what I did. Im almost positive that the cable is what is in 96 and prior. I believe that is what the dealer said. The cable is installed and working. Everything is back to normal.