Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Black Diamond (WA) trail run maybe Sunday AM?

Don't know the weekend schedule yet, but I'm toying with the idea of maybe doing the Kanaskat trails again this Sunday morning. I was down there by myself a couple weeks ago and had fun (nearly stuck it plenty too.) Seems that the entrances have been closed for a while but a new one has recently been made. Mostly motorcycles and quads have been on the trails...they're tight like made for Subarus. I did a bunch of trails I hadn't been on before and even drove up the mountain for the cool view. This isn't a huge area but it's good for a few hours of fun or more if you get jammed between trees. And hey, it's only 45 minutes from Seattle (via hwy 169) so it makes a nifty destination without a huge drive or mega traffic hell.

The place is mostly loamy dirt (sorry not much rocks to crawl.) Plenty of hill climbs, tight turns, articulation, and trees that seem to have magnets in them. Of course there's water and mud to slosh around in too. Kind of creepy woods there I might add. Maybe a fun place for a Halloween run?

Where the heck is Kanaskat? Well it's east of Ravensdale which is east of Kent which is kinda near Black Diamond and Maple Valley. Here's a map, you can zoom out to get the big picture.

*EDIT* Ok apparently Mapquest doesn't allow linking directly to a map anymore. Just enter "Kanaskat Junction" for city and "WA" for state and that should get you a map.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?mapdata=xU4YXdELrnDGSUOOe1656pgu%252bvVzn9G4aFSzLemtxurhX2ntVFm3e1QmpdfuPMnTWjIdYt%252bNyeMIW3K393B72SwiRlcUdwzsikNr4W5awjTB21axHPMfFqzM1pVS9IJC0eRb%252fxsdGu6Naft%252ftXsc0NZ760DEpWSgrdqvNcj3WZgBBvU4zUlCKkdFee%252bEeIWcwKvY%252fkTd31YBPtfXv8UinfCl0PA4Cc%252fSMaqVloiEk9YXC564LjeeBRLtWWnoJnwMoOzxnxAChyApZI9Hlh0QIOYYmYdfkS2iZQLdUtV9KcYH1isGL6IcSw%253d%253d&click=center&mqmap.x=183&mqmap.y=269

On the map find "Kanasket Junction". That's the epicenter of the trail network. The entrance is easy to drive right past. Look on the east side of the main road kinda between SE 302nd and SE Courtney Road.

Whoop it up ONE more time before surgury? No way man, that's not acceptable! There's gotta be time for a snow run up at Snoqualamie Pass or a trip to the cabin or Evans Creek or...

Plans for Sunday are looking more promising. I should know for sure by Friday evening if I can go. Just thought I'd put it out there and see if anybody else is interested or curious. If it's a "go" then I'd suggest a 10am meet time at Four Corners (like last time.)

Oct 27 being the date, I'll be taking it easy this time after surgery, don't plan on re-re-injuring it. No runs for no less than a month afterwards, longer if the doctor has it his way. . .

Say definite Mike. :brow:

As for photos, if it's raing like it is now, cameras will never leave the car. . . That being the reason why I didn't film any of the rallyX last time for the first time. Damn new camera and me needing to be careful with it.

Definite.Hah! There I said it.

Looks like I'm good to "GO" for Sunday morning. Qman's plan of hitting Kanaskat first, then heading up to Evan's Creek sounds cool (though I'm probably only good for the first half of the day.)

As for a meeting time, how does 10:00am sound? And for a meeting place, is Four Corners good or should we just meet on the trails?

If it isn't raining and blowing too bad I'll proabably try doing some video. I've got a ziplock bag scupa suit for my camera so I'll risk moderate douching.