Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does my 1990 Loyale have a VSS?

It should - I know all 80's ones had a magnetic reed switch for the VSS in the instrument cluster; all 85+ cars, with digital or analog dash had the VSS output from the cluster - I think the legacies/later had another one in the tranny, but as I have seen the dealer add-on cruise installed on Loyales, I would assume they have the dash VSS.

NEVER MIND - I KNOW your car has a VSS, because it is Fuel Injected, and ALL SPFI cars (IE Loyale) have a VSS input for the computer.

Indeed 85sub4WD is right it has one. Heck even most (all?) of the Carb'd EA82 cars have them (just don't use them). When I did my EFI swap on the lifted 86 Sedan, it had one...and haven't heard of anyone else doing the EFI swap that didn't have one. Think it was just standard built into the cluster on EA82's

Okay, so cool, I have a VSS and if I can access the output, I should be able to use that for Audiovox or Rostra Cruise that likes an output from the speed sensor. Sounds like a project. The people at the cruise shop were like, no way, ain't gonna work period. Thank you all for the valuable insight. As I get more familiar with the car, I'll stop asking annoying questions, at least as many.

Matt

actually, if you want the pinout for the ECU to find which wire goes to the VSS, you can look through the 2nd part of the EA82 manual here:

http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=142

it is a large file, so it will take a while - the SPFI system is IDENTICAL to yours, though it is a 1989 MY manual

good luck

You rule. Thank you for the super useful link to the 89 repair manual. I think what I need is on page 70 ( on my viewer, 64 of the "real" manual ) of the 2nd section. I wonder if tapping into that speed sensor wire from the cluster to the computer will degrade the signal and cause an issue...

Matt

I have installed 3 aftermarket units. My Pinto used the magnets on the drive shaft, my van uses an wire loop coil that clips around the negative (I think) coil wire, and the one I put on my '88 GL---I can't remember but will look tomorrow, but I think it uses the coil also. It doesn't read car speed, but RPMs.

Jon

Thank you, very, very interested in how you hooked up cruise on your 88. Should be real similar to my 90. Can you tell me what unit exactly that you used and if you get time any tips to hooking it up. I might just try to find the same setup you have. Thank you!

Will look tomorrow. It works basically like a tach. When you go uphill, the engine slows down, gives it gas till it gets back to the set RPMs, etc. I think the only car wiring was like hot wire, wire to "cold" side of brake switch, and the signal wire (From coil) The rest of the wiring is stuff on the unit itself. I would have thought that alot of the aftermarkets would be like this, but will double check.

Jon

No it wouldnt have one a wee bit early for that sort of do hicky,the magnetic setup would have to come of one of the front drive shafts but this could be not 100% as the front drive shafts trun at different speeds while turning

If using magnets, why not use the rear driveshaft? It'd be simpler and probably wouldn't move as much as the front axles (easier to mount the magnets). Unless it's a fwd and doesn't have a rear drive shaft...

I thought about that. My car is FWD, so not an option. But, if it was 4wd, interesting idea. I would guess that there would be two disadvantages. One, you would need a hell of a long cable. Two, if the rear was not engaged and the front spun out somehow, there would be no overspeed safety, say the front wheels hit ice or water ( hydroplane ), sped up, the cruise would not catch this and disengage since not hooked up to sense front wheel speed. Admittedly rare examples, but from a safety perspective, probably makes sense to have the primary drive wheels hooked up to the cruise sensors...?

In my limiited experience, the overspeed cut-out doesn't act fast enough to do you any good when hittign the slippery stuff. In this part of the world, the police recommend that you ignore the cruise control until spring. It is much safer. My after-market cruise control uses a wire to the coil to measure. This has a small advantage, that it can work in 4th as well as 5th, but it allows you to go slower without changing the setting. In all, I find it preferable to the few built-in CC's I have used. Rob.

Update for all interested:

I emailed Rostra who supplies a lot of aftermarket cruise systems. Got the first good sign so far:

Thank you for your interest in the Rostra Precision Controls aftermarket cruise control systems. My name is Joe Brandenburg from Brandon Distributing Inc, and Rostra has asked me to get in contact with you about your cruise control needs. To insure that I send the proper information I need to know what type of vehicle that this is going on. Please email me at joe@brandondist.com or phone me at 877-402-3944 so I can assist you

Thank you

Joe Brandenburg

And then, upon emailing him that I have a 1990 Loyale, he replied:

Matt:

You can install a cruise control on your car use the following parts

250-1223 157.75

250-3421 22.75

250-4165 20.87

If you would like to order these parts please call me at 877-402-3944

Joe

Anyway, sounds like I can get a compatible unit. I'll keep everyone posted. Thought I'd post the info in case it helped someone else down the line.

Matt

I thought about that. My car is FWD, so not an option. But, if it was 4wd, interesting idea. I would guess that there would be two disadvantages. One, you would need a hell of a long cable. Two, if the rear was not engaged and the front spun out somehow, there would be no overspeed safety, say the front wheels hit ice or water ( hydroplane ), sped up, the cruise would not catch this and disengage since not hooked up to sense front wheel speed. Admittedly rare examples, but from a safety perspective, probably makes sense to have the primary drive wheels hooked up to the cruise sensors...?

Don't know how you are getting along on this, but I finally got some pics of mine. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3814 It does pick up the signal from the coil. Hope the pictures work and can help you.

Jon

Don't know how you are getting along on this, but I finally got some pics of mine. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=3814 It does pick up the signal from the coil. Hope the pictures work and can help you.

Jon

Haven't had time to dig into it much yet, but thank you, I see what you are talking about.