Ultimate Subaru Message Board

forester wont stop flashing lights and clicking

I have a 2000 forester and walk out to it one day get inside and there is a ticking noise around the steering column and it is continuous. After i found that my lights were flashing at a very weird rate. they would go for about 10-30 seconds at about 1 per 2 seconds and then stop for a while. then it would go back at it again. so basically my battery is dead and its just cuz i cant get this clicking/ flashing thing to stop. none of my lights are on, the emergency flashers arent on, and no other buttons are on.. that i know of....the car will start with the sound and everything but it doesnt stop.. anybody know what the problem is.. ?

I have a 2000 forester and walk out to it one day get inside and there is a ticking noise around the steering column and it is continuous. After i found that my lights were flashing at a very weird rate. they would go for about 10-30 seconds at about 1 per 2 seconds and then stop for a while. then it would go back at it again. so basically my battery is dead and its just cuz i cant get this clicking/ flashing thing to stop. none of my lights are on, the emergency flashers arent on, and no other buttons are on.. that i know of....the car will start with the sound and everything but it doesnt stop.. anybody know what the problem is.. ?

could it be the factory alarm freaking out on you?

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem, and had already read the instructions @ the link, but I cannot find the alarm reset button. I've looked & looked. I also read about someone that says they didn't have a button. Is it possible that I don't have a button? Is it possible that someone w/ a 2000 forester could give me very specific instructions on where to find wire & hopefully button?

Any chance you hit the switch on top of the steering column?

I have the same problem, and had already read the instructions @ the link, but I cannot find the alarm reset button. I've looked & looked. I also read about someone that says they didn't have a button. Is it possible that I don't have a button? Is it possible that someone w/ a 2000 forester could give me very specific instructions on where to find wire & hopefully button?

I have a dealer installed keyless entry module in my 98 OB. Its mounted with plastic ties near the fuse panel under the dash. On mine I have to press a button that is located at the top of the black box, turn the key to on and wait for the locks to cycle three times. I can also reprogram my FOB this way.

If the alarm/keyless entry system is dealer installed, instead of factory, you will have a harder time locating the button. On factory installations, it is just behind the hood latch lever under the dash. On dealer installed systems, it can be anywhere under the dash. I will be near the keyless/alarm module which will be zip-tied somewhere under there ( I most often find it to the left, near the fuseblock). It will be small (about the size of a dime in diameter) and black. These two things only make it harder to find, sorry. Use a flashlight and be patient. You will find it eventually.