Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water pump replacement.

Matt

Hello.

Long time reader, first time poster. :wave:

I need to replace my water pump on my Brat and I'm having some issues determining which replacement pump is best.

I've been looking at replacement pumps from local stores in my area, Discount Autoparts/Advance, and Autozone.

Here's the dilemma, my Brat has a/c, but it also has the sticker on the dash that says "vehicle is equipped for a/c installation" or something like that. The system that has been installed looks factory and the Brat came with the schematics to install the a/c too. I've noticed that there are two water pumps available for a Brat with a/c, one is for factory installed and the other for dealer installed. Is there any difference?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. :)

There were several (three or more I think?) types of AC used in the EA81 cars. Does your water pump belt just go from the crank to the water pump and alternator? If so, then just go with a non-AC water pump. I don't think there's any difference anyway, but just to be sure, go with what your car was from the factory - non-AC. I have had pretty good luck with junk yard water pumps, and they are really cheap if you hit the right yard. Since the pump is soooo easy to replace, I don't feel real bad about using a used one. If it were hard to get to, I would install a new Subaru brand part.

GD

careful GD, I was wondering Matt, what generation your Brat is? I didn't see a year reference (did i miss it?)... so making a reference to EA81 and the belt that goes around the waterpump is automatically a non-A/c car is kinda snap judgement - wouldn't you agree? Reason for asking it this way is the double V-belt system that EA82's and (correct me on this as well) EA81 isn't it also a 2 V-belt system?

As for the water pump it will have 2 grooves on it for both belts to go thru on 81 and 82 engine designs..... I've not seen a single groove pully on a waterpump before but, I haven't ever hunted for one either. :rolleyes:

Some EA82's:

had the ALt right up against the P/S pump.

others had the ALT almost touching the Battery.

I've even seen a EA71(?) Gen 1 Brat engine with a single pulley system its alt was way the heck up in the air away from the waterpump....

seen here:

http://www.geocities.com/electryc_monk/soob-fullsize/brat-engine-10.JPG

Sorry for not including that...I was in a hurry when I was typing. :-)

Its an '86 Gen 2. It looks just like my previous EA81 models with the pully with the single groove for one belt.

I was looking at napaonline.com and they had a pump for about $25. Unfortunately, I'll have to pay someone to do it so I don't hear any more static from the condo commandos. :madder:

• 9 months later...
There were several (three or more I think?) types of AC used in the EA81 cars. Does your water pump belt just go from the crank to the water pump and alternator? If so, then just go with a non-AC water pump. I don't think there's any difference anyway, but just to be sure, go with what your car was from the factory - non-AC. I have had pretty good luck with junk yard water pumps, and they are really cheap if you hit the right yard. Since the pump is soooo easy to replace, I don't feel real bad about using a used one. If it were hard to get to, I would install a new Subaru brand part.

GD

just how easy are they to replace??? I have a1987 subaru loyale 4WD wagon that overheated, so most common thing to replace i thought was the thermostat-WRONG! still have a problem so I thought the waerpump is next, but being unfamiliar with that part om this car, I am unsure of it's location, and don't have tome to purchase manual and part. Thought i coluld find details on this site. Can you offer any help or directions to the right place. Grateful in Tahoe for any help:)

Matt,

I replaced the WP on my 87 Brat a couple of months ago. It has the dealer installed AC unit. I used the ASC one from Advance (new, made in Japan). See link:

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=AIN&MfrPartNumber=WP580&PartType=54&PTSet=A

The clearance between a cooling fan and the tip of the pulley is ~1/4". So I am not sure whether the water pump for a dealer installed unit is a shallow depth unit that gives you more clearance. Mine is fine though and has worked well for almost 2.5K miles so far.

Regards,

aba4430

Wow! Old post.

Anyway - for the "jldskier" person who resurected this one - sorry to say that your Loyale is quite a bit different than a Brat, which my original post about it being "easy" was tailored to. Being no expert on EA82's myself, I can only say that it's "not as easy as an EA81". Other than that, I sugest you perhaps start a new thread asking about changing the water pump on your exact model. Wish I could be more helpful, but I'm really not an EA82 guy.

*I'm not sure what monk was talking about nearly a year ago with that double groove pulley business, but all EA81 water pumps are single groove.... EA71's too. Just to clarify in case someone reads this post in the future.... weird :rolleyes: *

GD