Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High pitched whistle varies with rpm?

All is quiet until the thermostat begins to open... then it is intermittent.  If I DO NOT use a screwdriver to listen to those various components I checked. It surely sounds like an the fuel injector/vac leak but...

I'd suppose it could be the water pump because it is about 5yrs old and the bearing could be reverberating through the cooling system via once the thermostat opens. Kinda weird my other pump let me know via temp gauge not  this way. I'll know more next week.

Stay tuned;)

All stock SPFI probably been there since the assembly line. Upon further research the 90 deg coolant line that comes from heater hose to the back of the body is a pre-heater and is goes wherever who knows..  lol

Never had this issue before but I had to fix that hose from leaking with or without a 90deg bend..from a scrap piece in the front and since it was bent/kinked and and it slowly developed a whistle and it had 10 mins of my life to spare to fix i and purged and I purged 3x's and it still whistling. It almost sounds like I got air trapped in the ac/unit... mainly because on a cold start ovenite i hear sspsss... spsppss.. pss... sspsss... until the thermostat begins to open. 

I won't be mad if it's the water pump, I should replace that anyways... cheap after market stuff only last about 5yrs aanyway, even though I'm not reading hot and I have heat.. 

Edited by Len Dawg

• 6 months later...

Alrighty then...

So I think I figured it out...kinda sorta in a round about way..  it's been gone for while now... I couldn't leave everybody in suspense. I checked all and repaired all vacuum connections including the pcv... I was beginning to think it's the a/c unit leaking at the Schrader valves which they are but of all things... I changed the idler belt which was a gator type and it was still there.. then I stretched wwwaaay out there and changed the oil filter and it got quieter and eventually went away... thank Gaudd!!

What I really think it was is the box store gave me the wrong belt and it began wearing a tooth/groove in the pulleys ... and even though I put on the old factory belt it was still whining until it broke it's self back in. I got a new v belt and all has returned to normal.

Live and learn V belt is what is really needed... 

Yeeeay!! 

Yep did it myself it was hard to pin point exactly where it was considering I listened via screw driver on every component.. whereas I mention in detail earlier in the thread. I'll post to Facebook have a listen:blink:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/438010226261479?view=permalink&id=2347500618645754

Edited by Len Dawg
Added a link