Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Spark....

Color me oh so confused...have no spark...replaced igniton coil..still no spark...just replaced ignition coil bracket with ignitor for 1987 gl wagon...non turbo...again no fire...found a part that is labled part # 6w04 250 v and .47 uf..has power going in not out...my question is A) what is the proper term for this part and B) besides a salvage yard where can I locate another part ...been looking for a while and I love my scoobydo and can not even fathom parting with her she has been more Loyale than any of my former spouses and former beaus...thank you for your help!!!!

Start a new thread for your problem, and begin at the beginning when searching for help. as a stab in the dark I will guess that your driver side timing belt is broken, but that is a VERY Random guess...and I made it to indicate that you havent given us anywhere near enough information on the problem itself to help us help you. All you did was tell us the parts you threw at it without testing them first.

http://www.ch601.org/engines.htm find subaru EA82 and download both PDF files. that will help you in knowing how to test the ignition components, but post your own new thread with more background details to get some attention and actual help.

The reason I said blown timing belt is because the disty is turned by the driver side camshaft, and so with a blown timing belt on that side the disty wont turn, and the crank angle sensor wont pulse, so the coil will never get a SIGNAL to fire. Your problem may well be something else.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for the advice and I am so very grateful for the pdf's, I failed to mention that my boyfriend was diagnosing the car using his ohm meter. The part that I mentioned that was underneath the coil is described as a transistor. My boyfriend found one at a salvage yard and that unfortunately wasn't the problem. It was the horn fuse:eek: ...why in the dickens would this not be mentioned in a regular haynes manual???? Thank goodness I found this wee little factor on the forum...you guys are awesome:banana: ! It is great to be on the road again :banana:

Start a new thread for your problem, and begin at the beginning when searching for help. as a stab in the dark I will guess that your driver side timing belt is broken, but that is a VERY Random guess...and I made it to indicate that you havent given us anywhere near enough information on the problem itself to help us help you. All you did was tell us the parts you threw at it without testing them first.

www.ch601.org/engines.htm find subaru EA82 and download both PDF files. that will help you in knowing how to test the ignition components, but post your own new thread with more background details to get some attention and actual help.

The reason I said blown timing belt is because the disty is turned by the driver side camshaft, and so with a blown timing belt on that side the disty wont turn, and the crank angle sensor wont pulse, so the coil will never get a SIGNAL to fire. Your problem may well be something else.