Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo engine running weird

i have a 89 turbo gl wagon, i bought it with it supposedly having bad head gaskets. when i bought it to start it i had to put my foot to the floor and crank it for like 30sec+ to get it to start. i attributed that to the blown head gasket. now i have 2 different heads on it both resurfaced both with grinded valve seats and faces and new seals, new head gaskets and a differnt block out of another turbo subaru cause i pulled the threads out of my block while torqueing the heads down. when i start the car it idles pretty ruff, enough so when i put a timing light on it its jumping all over the place. and its a kinda high. when i shut down the engine and go start it again it doesnt want to start unless my foot is to the ground and and i crank if for almost ten seconds. any ideas to why my car is acting this way would be much appreciated. thanks.

i have a 89 turbo gl wagon, i bought it with it supposedly having bad head gaskets. when i bought it to start it i had to put my foot to the floor and crank it for like 30sec+ to get it to start. i attributed that to the blown head gasket. now i have 2 different heads on it both resurfaced both with grinded valve seats and faces and new seals, new head gaskets and a differnt block out of another turbo subaru cause i pulled the threads out of my block while torqueing the heads down. when i start the car it idles pretty ruff, enough so when i put a timing light on it its jumping all over the place. and its a kinda high. when i shut down the engine and go start it again it doesnt want to start unless my foot is to the ground and and i crank if for almost ten seconds. any ideas to why my car is acting this way would be much appreciated. thanks.

You are flooded.Most likely leaky injectors.Check the CTS too-try unplugging it.

i thought it sounded like it was flooding due to me havin to put it to the floor, i have another set of injectors from another turbo ill put in and see what it does. i made pretty sure to have all the vacum lines right cause the guy who had it before me had the waste gate vacum lines all bass ackwards so i went to the junk yard and made a diagram from a running turboso to get all the solonoids and lines in the right places, ill double check though. would try and unplugg the cts but i dont know what that is. can also through another crank angle sensor it and see if it changes. thanks for the help.

i thought it sounded like it was flooding due to me havin to put it to the floor, i have another set of injectors from another turbo ill put in and see what it does. i made pretty sure to have all the vacum lines right cause the guy who had it before me had the waste gate vacum lines all bass ackwards so i went to the junk yard and made a diagram from a running turboso to get all the solonoids and lines in the right places, ill double check though. would try and unplugg the cts but i dont know what that is. can also through another crank angle sensor it and see if it changes. thanks for the help.

cts is the coolant temp sender. I think it is on the rear of the manifold on your engine.