Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping EA82 into an EA82T

Picked up a non-turbo JDM EA82 today for my XT Turbo.

yes i'm doing the opposite of what everyone else does, converting my 1987.5 XT Turbo FT4WD to non turbo. don't get confused, this is all backwards.

will i need a non-turbo crossmember or will the EA82 fit in the EA82T crossmember?

i know i'll need:

non turbo exhaust

non turbo fuel injectors.

am i missing anything?

i know, disappointing as it may sound i'm castrating this bugger of it's turbo. i tried, put together the block this weekend and it irritated me. if i'm going to mess with a turbo it's going on my XT6. so NA motor it is. promise you won't come and take it back!!!!!! promise!!!

it is getting an XT6 power steering, 5 lug suspension, impreza wheels, and keeping the air suspension.

The one difference you might find, presuming that the mill you are putting in is a MPFI NA, is that the distributor has only two 2 wires instead of four, don't ask me how the ECM senses crank angle; I'd like to know that myself. Newer SPFI mills all have four wires, so do all turbos, I don't know.

Is it MPFI or SPFI?

MPFI is plug and play, no modifying required. Just the engine and attached parts plus intake and exhaust hardware.

If it's SPFI, there's more wiring required, and I can't tell you how to do it... but someone else can.

Either way, the original crossmember will be just fine.

Awesome! thanks guys, sounds good. The car and donor motor are both MPFI and 1987+.

Original Car 1987.5 Turbo XT

Donor is a complete MPFI XT 87.5 NON turbo

one vote for a 2 wires disty that won't match and another vote says they will. guess i'll find out, that has to be resolvable.

sounds like the swap should be fairly straight forward.

no turbo stuff. i have the NA intake, still looking for an NA exhaust.

I wanted that motor...

hope you can snag another, i needed one. didn't have a motor for it at all. i was wondering if anyone here was considering it.

Gary,

I did this exact same swap this fall. It's super easy, and the disty should plug right in. Everything you should need to know is in this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40961

That includes my report on what it took to do the job. A few things related to mounting the engine in place may be different on the XT, but all the electrical stuff will be identical.

awesome thanks for that link steve. i appreciate and printed it!

what is an "L" series that you refer to?

you mentioned you got an engine code after the swap, recall what that was?

my donor motor doesn't have the a/c or alt on it, but appears to have the brackets. both being XT models (where yours was an XT to RX swap), maybe the alt and a/c will bolt in place? i'm converting it to XT6 electric power steering so no issue there. it has the crank pulley on it.

i don't have the dogbone, i'll have to fabricate something for now. thanks for that heads up, i'll put an order in the parts wanted section.

see how the throttle cable goes as well, that should be interesting. that might be my biggest concern at the moment.

thanks again steve!

here's a pic of the donor motor.

post-6800-136027606457_thumb.jpg

L-series refers to the sedan/wagon/coupe body.

Since you're doing XT to XT, your original dogbone will be fine. Same goes for the belt driven accessories, just slap them on and go. Throttle cable will also be the same. Actually you won't have to change a thing besides the intake and exhaust hardware.

P.S. - got any plans for the spider intake on your original turbo engine? ;)

P.S. - got any plans for the spider intake on your original turbo engine? ;)
not at the moment, but i'd like to keep it for awhile in case i re-turbo the thing. i have another turbo block and a brand new EA82 block to put the turbo goodies in...so i'd like to hang onto it until i'm confident with the XT project.