Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vintage Soob Racer on Ebay

HI guys...thanks for all the scoop and the welcome to the board. I promise to take more pixs of the car...probably this weekend I'll get out there!! I'm giving the car to my older brother to fix up and race, so it won't be here much longer. We are guessing that the car may produce close to 200hp!??

He's getting the car on the condition that he does not alter it's current look...not sure if you can tell but there is a hot rod Kangaroo graphic on either side and the rear deck...hence the Superooo. Kinda cool!

I would love to keep the car myself but should keep my focus on my VW's...sorry. I run a 1965 Type 3 Notchback and the front beam needs attention.

Ok...I got out to the car today and got a good look....the tranny is indeed a VW type 1 tranny (113301103) an IRS flipped backwards...which means the pattern I was told is most likely incorrect.

The serial number on the body of the car is A23L700787...which makes it a...???

has a Neal hydraulic cluth set up...

strange beast...they made mods to the tranny to fit, that is for sure!

Ron

Well go ahead General D

"Also in the same picture is a blue hydraulic looking device - I suspect that's a hydraulic clutch setup for the VW tranny."

Good Eye lad very good eye

Ron, Hope to see you and your brother @ Carisle

Thanks for the follow up.

Thanks Skip - means a lot comming from yourself. Your no slouch when it comes to car bits either. I reccon I could learn a thing or two from ya.

Now that we have the trans info.... could your brother perhaps give us an idea of the engine and blower configuration. I'm guessing maybe it has an EA81.... perhaps the turbo block - maybe someone with EA81T knowledge will chime in and help to ID the turbo block vs. the NA block without taking it apart.

Possible to get some pics with more detail of the engine and it's setup?

GD

HI guys...thanks for all the scoop and the welcome to the board. I promise to take more pixs of the car...probably this weekend I'll get out there!! I'm giving the car to my older brother to fix up and race, so it won't be here much longer. We are guessing that the car may produce close to 200hp!??

He's getting the car on the condition that he does not alter it's current look...not sure if you can tell but there is a hot rod Kangaroo graphic on either side and the rear deck...hence the Superooo. Kinda cool!

I would love to keep the car myself but should keep my focus on my VW's...sorry. I run a 1965 Type 3 Notchback and the front beam needs attention.

Hey Stonefish, I am only about an hour from Hershey, would it be ok, if I were to stop by and take a gander at it? I would also like to take some pics if at all possible?

Well here is the latest from the garage.

Looks like the motor block number is 736434...mean anything to anyone?

the blower also has an upsidedown triangle with an H in it....again means nothing to me...any clues?

the hood is steel I'll have to take a better look on how they did the flares...I took quite a few pixs...I'll see if I can download them.

to the person that is an hour away...sure, send me an email at Rmann@hersheys.com and we can set it up. The car is headed back up north next Saturday.

On the top front of the engine block - passenger side near the head it should have an "EA81" or "EA71" inside a square - that will tell us a lot. They painted the valve covers, but you could look to see if they have, or had a rectangular sticker in the middle of them. That would be the indication that it has hydrualic lifters.

I'm guessing maybe they started with an EA81 turbo, and converted it to a blow-through carb setup. The original EA81T only put out like 95 HP, but JDM engines would have done a lot more. The JDM dual carb was around 108, and the JDM turbo setups for racing were up over 150 I'm sure. The most I've heard from an EA81 was a claim of 200 HP from one of the guys that works for that place that does the dual port aviation engines. I believe that was with the dual port heads, and a blower tho.

GD

On the top front of the engine block - passenger side near the head it should have an "EA81" or "EA71" inside a square - that will tell us a lot. They painted the valve covers, but you could look to see if they have, or had a rectangular sticker in the middle of them. That would be the indication that it has hydrualic lifters.

I'm guessing maybe they started with an EA81 turbo, and converted it to a blow-through carb setup. The original EA81T only put out like 95 HP, but JDM engines would have done a lot more. The JDM dual carb was around 108, and the JDM turbo setups for racing were up over 150 I'm sure. The most I've heard from an EA81 was a claim of 200 HP from one of the guys that works for that place that does the dual port aviation engines. I believe that was with the dual port heads, and a blower tho.

GD

Maaaan, I really like those numbers!:headbang::banana:

I think a trip to japan is in order!

what a rare find, I mean how many subarus of this vintage could have been built up to race. I would guess less than 10, at least in this country.

I've attended vintage races at Lime Rock many times since the 80's and never have I seen anything from Subaru racing.Of course,that's road racing.

BTW,that bodystyle would have come with either a 1300('72-3),1400('73-75),or early version 1600('76-77 Stage I) to a showroom floor.JSYK

:burnout:

Ebay auction said 1.8, but who knows. I don't see any evidence in the picture of the coolant cross over pipe that's on the earlier engines, so I think it really must be an EA81.

That thing is a serious race machine tho - don't think it even has an alternator. That pressure guage doesn't go over 15, so it must run a fairly small amount of boost. I wonder what the advantages are over a turbo setup besides simpliciy of course. Turbo's are more effecient, and on a small engine like the EA81 I would imagine that effeciency would be pronounced. Must be a good reason for it tho.

GD