Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What brand of alternator--does it matter?

Going to get an alternator likely today. Oreilly, AutoZone, Advance all carry fairly generic brands. NAPA also has Bosch which I am accustomed to having some VWs over the years.

On a 1990 Loyale with 120k, and me being a student, budget is an issue but noy the only issue.

If I go cheaper to save $30 will I regret it? Will a cheapo parts store alternator be fine for a few years, which is what I will need?

Opinions...

thanks

Buy one with a no questions asked replacement warranty for at least 90 days. If it was properly rebuilt it should last you a few years; if it was not rebuilt properly, you'll likely know the first month. Lifetime warranty is fine if you're not paying more than 10% extra; more than that is a waste of money. I'm partial to NAPA but they are usually slightly more expensive.

Going to get an alternator likely today. Oreilly, AutoZone, Advance all carry fairly generic brands. NAPA also has Bosch which I am accustomed to having some VWs over the years.

On a 1990 Loyale with 120k, and me being a student, budget is an issue but noy the only issue.

If I go cheaper to save $30 will I regret it? Will a cheapo parts store alternator be fine for a few years, which is what I will need?

Opinions...

thanks

Buy one with a no questions asked replacement warranty for at least 90 days. If it was properly rebuilt it should last you a few years; if it was not rebuilt properly, you'll likely know the first month. Lifetime warranty is fine if you're not paying more than 10% extra; more than that is a waste of money. I'm partial to NAPA but they are usually slightly more expensive.

Ok, thanks. Turns out this is not the issue. See my post title wow was not alternator!

matt